DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

99 Camry automatic must put in N to start?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 09:05 AM

can someone circle it in red on the diagram please?

Old 10-28-2009, 06:26 PM
Default Neutral Safety Switch

Hello,

I actually paid for that response at "Just Ask.com" to find out where it was and a Toyota mechanic sent me that illustration. I still couldn't find it. I was hoping you would have better luck. I only looked from under the hood.
If you go onto Autozone.com they have a nice website that gives pictures and even try to help you with illustrations for installation of some parts. However, the illustration that they give for the neutral safety switch is a generic one (not for Camry). Below is a photo of the switch. I finally took my Camry to a mechanic and he determined it was the starter motor. I was only getting a single click when trying to start until I moved the shifter back and forth to get it to start. Finally, I couldn't get it to start. When I called the mechanic, he suggested turning the ignition on and off rapidly several times. This WORKED! Also, suggested tapping the started motor with a hammer. If it's the starter, this may work.

Good Luck,
Bob57