DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:52 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

99 Camry Project

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 04:17 PM
Default 99 Camry Project

I've got a 99 Camry that has plenty of things wrong with it. It's almost like a project car bc of so many things needed. It was wrecked before but was running when parked less than a yr ago. I need some help with a few things so wanted to post on here. I'm sure I will post on here more as I keep on going with car. Would love to get it drivable again and in good enough shape to maybe possibly sell.

1. It does not run. I've posted on here recently about this issue that has got some responses and am going to try these 1st.

2. Interior needs to be cleaned. Prob seats taken out and carpet cleaned good. What's the best way to do this?

3. Trunk does not open without force. It used to come up on own when key was turned but not anymore. How can I fix this?

4. Passengers side fender is dented in.so bad that lamp for signal does not clip in. Can I beat it out or is it better to just buy new fender for replace?

5. Bumper is basically destroyed. Held up by zip ties now. Prob just going to buy a new one and replace

6. Car does have a few rough spots but nothing major. All are just minor spots. Anything I can do to get rid of these. ?

7. End of the hood is bent down where it was wrecked. It's not too bad bc it's just the last inch or so of the hood. Is there a way I can straighten these ends out?

There are other minor details to do as well such as window tracts, door handles, tires...Ect

Most the stuff I can figure out bc I'm decent with cars but I have not done work to this extent. Thanks in advance for your help. I will post some pictures in a bit so everyone can see its condition

Old 09-09-2013, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by cjsmith0703
I've got a 99 Camry that has plenty of things wrong with it. It's almost like a project car bc of so many things needed. It was wrecked before but was running when parked less than a yr ago. I need some help with a few things so wanted to post on here. I'm sure I will post on here more as I keep on going with car. Would love to get it drivable again and in good enough shape to maybe possibly sell.

1. It does not run. I've posted on here recently about this issue that has got some responses and am going to try these 1st.

2. Interior needs to be cleaned. Prob seats taken out and carpet cleaned good. What's the best way to do this?

3. Trunk does not open without force. It used to come up on own when key was turned but not anymore. How can I fix this?

4. Passengers side fender is dented in.so bad that lamp for signal does not clip in. Can I beat it out or is it better to just buy new fender for replace?

5. Bumper is basically destroyed. Held up by zip ties now. Prob just going to buy a new one and replace

6. Car does have a few rough spots but nothing major. All are just minor spots. Anything I can do to get rid of these. ?

7. End of the hood is bent down where it was wrecked. It's not too bad bc it's just the last inch or so of the hood. Is there a way I can straighten these ends out?

There are other minor details to do as well such as window tracts, door handles, tires...Ect

Most the stuff I can figure out bc I'm decent with cars but I have not done work to this extent. Thanks in advance for your help. I will post some pictures in a bit so everyone can see its condition
Twotears ago, I acquired a free 'project' 96 Camry LE. Though it ran, and the paint & body were decent, it's needed about $1000 in parts, and mostly my labor, to get it inspected and back on the road.
Including tires, steering rack, tie-rods, brakes, power-window repairs, stabilizer links & bushings,
radiator, waterpump & timing-belt, major tune-up (dist cap, rotor, plugs & wires).

Since then, I've added a custom bolt-on light-duty trailer hitch made specifically for my model Camry, plus heavy-duty rear struts & springs out of a Camry wagon. These last three items were a bargain from my local salvage yard for about $90!

As for your trunk, could be the trunk-springs. Do the springs hold it up once it's opened? Othewise, the spring inside the latch may have failed or the latch-striker alignment is off.

If you can get inside/behind it, try to pull/push out the fender till it lines up with the light. Plus it will probably look better than hammering.

Also, I'd check salvage yards for the fender, hood & bumper. Ones near me often have several Camrys.
I used to see mostly 88-91 and 92-96 models but lately I've seen a few of your generation (97-01)
You might even get lucky and find the right color.

Happy Motoring, Mark