DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Camry 09 SE push button, dash doesn’t turn on, no amber or green on pushbutton

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2023, 09:23 PM
Default Camry 09 SE push button, dash doesn’t turn on, no amber or green on pushbutton

Hello, fellow Camry owners,

I am helping my father in law get his 09 Camry SE back in working order, it’s been standing outside for a year or so.
Current Problem: Can’t get the push button to recognize the key fob. The dash doesn’t turn on only door ajar, high beams. The brake pedal is fully depressed and the steering wheel is in the lock position, can’t turn left or right. No radio,
Things I tried: reset car battery then click push button twice then close and open door. Remove the brake switch to make sure it’s active. Replaced key fob batteries, can’t get to ACC mode for OBD2 reading. Tried to keep the key fob right next to push button. Shorted the battery contactors to clear the ECU for 30 min then plugged back on battery. Battery is at 13.8 volts. I tried to short the starter and the engine turns.

I know there is something with ECU and locked steering wheel but usually that is fixed when going to ACC mode.

any help I would greatly appreciate, been looking through tech terminals for a couple of days, looking to avoid in junking it, thank you in advance. We are looking for a secondary fob now, I am thinking that the key fob possibly disconnected/de-registered from the push button or push button deregistered from the ECU.

Old 10-16-2023, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

If not having one, download a copy of the owners manual at the link below. Then read up on issues such as unlocking the steering wheel.

https://www.toyota.com/owners/

Is the car a standard gas engine car and NOT a hybrid?

Does the car have a smart key with little key or a normal key and FOB?

You state the brake pedal is to the floor? Is it frozen down? Normal pedal position is up.

Is the engine battery charged, a good battery, etc.

Not sure the keys/ECU would de-register, but having a dead/dying small battery can cause ALL kinds of electrical problems.

Get the battery charged or buy another one. Watch how you charge it and perhaps best to disconnect one battery cable from the car to prevent electrical surges.

Check out all electrical items as to what works and what does not and post back.

Check all fuses. The owners manual will provide fuse locations.

Old 10-16-2023, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
If not having one, download a copy of the owners manual at the link below. Then read up on issues such as unlocking the steering wheel.

@@@ the unlock from what it looks like needs to go in ACC mode, cant do that due to key fob not reacting with the push button.

https://www.toyota.com/owners/

Is the car a standard gas engine car and NOT a hybrid?

@@@gas engine

Does the car have a smart key with little key or a normal key and FOB?

@@@gray rectangle with key that is embedded that can come out to open the door

You state the brake pedal is to the floor? Is it frozen down? Normal pedal position is up.

@@@frozen down

Is the engine battery charged, a good battery, etc

@@@good battery validated

Not sure the keys/ECU would de-register, but having a dead/dying small battery can cause ALL kinds of electrical problems.

@@@key fob can open, close doors, emergency button and open trunk, also put the key close to the push button

Get the battery charged or buy another one. Watch how you charge it and perhaps best to disconnect one battery cable from the car to prevent electrical surges.

Check out all electrical items as to what works and what does not and post back.

@@@seats move, brake lights turn on, headlamps turn on

Check all fuses. The owners manual will provide fuse locations

@@@all fuses in the engine and relays have been validated as well as inside the cabin
thank you for a quick response my answers in quote with @@@

Last edited by Camry09ish; 10-16-2023 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-16-2023, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

The FOB in hand, on body, etc is supposed to allow a locked car door and trunk to be opened by using the drivers door handle and trunk handle only, is this happening?

To get the start button to light up the brake peddle needs to be pressed and gear selector in park or assumed neutral. If the brake peddle is to the floor might inquire what is going on here.

There would be a brake switch for the brake peddle. This switch allows power to the lights AND inputs a signal to the computer to allow starting car. Do the brake lights work when the switch is activated?

Old 10-16-2023, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
The FOB in hand, on body, etc is supposed to allow a locked car door and trunk to be opened by using the drivers door handle and trunk handle only, is this happening?

@@@yes it allows me to click the button on handle to open, lock doors

To get the start button to light up the brake peddle needs to be pressed and gear selector in park or assumed neutral. If the brake peddle is to the floor might inquire what is going on here.

@@@ I took out the brake switch and can see the rear brake light turn on

There would be a brake switch for the brake peddle. This switch allows power to the lights AND inputs a signal to the computer to allow starting car. Do the brake lights work when the switch is activated?
@@@ yes , on the start button I don’t see amber, red or green light from the LED no matter what I do

Old 10-16-2023, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

Check out the brake light switch. The brake needs to be pushed (obviously not possible here) to engage the brake switch which tells the computer the brake peddle is pushed to have the computer turn the light on to start the engine.

Old 10-16-2023, 08:13 PM

I took the brake switch out so it’s always “engaged” meaning the system should think that I have my foot on the brake

Old 10-16-2023, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

Ops, mixed your reply up with another. Let’s start again.

You state ONLY the seats move, brake lights turn on, headlamps turn on and door agar dash icon works and nothing more?

Knowing what works and what doesn’t can run down an electrical issue. If an electrical issue then no amount of action with the “Start” button is going to help. Suspect an electrical issue.

Does the dome light work, horn, etc?

Old 10-17-2023, 06:05 AM

Yes I am suspecting as well, I am assuming the issue is before the actual start button since the dash doesn’t start up, radio, etc. I wanted to replace the start button but don’t want to buy for no reason. My question, if the steering lock is on does that somehow lock the ECU? The security light keeps on blinking, I don’t know if that blinking is a normal state or only when car is locked and/or when anti-theft lock is on.

Old 10-17-2023, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Now suspecting the FOB works but perhaps not the chip in the ign key and or the ign key chip is not registered with the cars ECU.

The security system, linked to the dash light, prevents the engine from starting and not turning over. If the light is on then thought the ECU cut off injector operation but engine can still turn over (as many have found out the hard way).

The security system needs to recognize the ign key chip and with this stops disables to allow the engine to start.

Suggest you review all this in the owners manual which can be found at the link below.

https://www.toyota.com/owners/warranty-owners-manuals/

Toyota appears to have layered the smart key system on top of any other systems such as security. The smart key appeared to be an options and one could get a non smart key system. The owners manual covers these two systems.

Quick Reply: Camry 09 SE push button, dash doesn’t turn on, no amber or green on pushbutton