DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Camry 2000 temp gauge

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2022, 11:28 AM
Default Camry 2000 temp gauge

I have a 2000 Camry four-cylinder and a while back I noticed that the temperature gauge would keep fluctuating it would also go high once I would get off a highway or come to a stop and then when I would drive the needle would go down so I looked on this forum and did some troubleshooting and also replace thermostat and sensor next to engine block I checked fuses everything is okay fans also come on for about a minute or two minutes once the car is put into Park other than that the fans won't turn on unless he or AC is on. Could bad radiator fan switch cost temperatures to fluctuate? Also our fans supposed to turn on while driving to cool engine? I'm at a loss because I don't know what other parts I could check or replace any thoughts

Old 08-13-2022, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

The engine temp gauge should be rock steady under all driving conditions. Don't let the gauge approach the red or risk blowing head gasket or a cracked head.

The engine should be able to idle with a normal temp gauge reading. The fans should cycle on/off with coolant temp. The fans come on when the coolant temp is 199F+.

The fans should cycle on/off with the AC compressor on/off (not AC system on but AC compressor actually working on/off).

Check if there is an on/off coolant temp sensor on the bottom of the radiator (the lower radiator tank). It should screw into the side of radiator facing the engine. If you find the switch, disconnecting the wiring harness plug should turn on the fans (ign switch on).

If one has ever used a coolant system cleaner this can cause ALL KINDS of issues including overheating.

Old 08-13-2022, 12:30 PM

Thanks for the response.I haven't replaced radiator fan switch. There is one and when I disconnected wire fans turned on when ignition was in on. I'm just confused our fans supposed to turn on while driving? Can the radiator fan switch be the problem?

Old 08-13-2022, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

It is not normal for the fans to operate when the car is moving down the road at some forward speed. It would be typical for the fans to start to cycling on/off in stop and go driving, very slow prolonged (very low MPH) driving or prolonging engine idling. In addition the fans are wired to the A/C system. Otherwise the fans would normally be off.

The fact the fans turn on when the switch is disconnected should indicate wiring and relays that control the fan operation are OK. Its a common test on the this car model setup. The switch can fail, yes.

A test would be to remove radiator cap (engine cold). Insert a thermometer. Start engine and let it warm up. As stated the fans should start cycling on/off above 199F. This 199F is at temp switch not at the thermometer so keep this in mind.

One might disconnect the switch to turn the fans then go for a drive. Perhaps not on the freeway as the fan operation might decrease airflow through the radiator. Here some driving situation where in the past the coolant temp would go down then back up as the car slowed down or stopped. Determine if the temp gauge now stays normal when slowing down due to fan operation.

It is also possible the temp gauge sensor is bad but you implied you may have changed this.

Old 08-13-2022, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
It is not normal for the fans to operate when the car is moving down the road at some forward speed. It would be typical for the fans to start to cycling on/off in stop and go driving, very slow prolonged (very low MPH) driving or prolonging engine idling. In addition the fans are wired to the A/C system. Otherwise the fans would normally be off.

The fact the fans turn on when the switch is disconnected should indicate wiring and relays that control the fan operation are OK. Its a common test on the this car model setup. The switch can fail, yes.

A test would be to remove radiator cap (engine cold). Insert a thermometer. Start engine and let it warm up. As stated the fans should start cycling on/off above 199F. This 199F is at temp switch not at the thermometer so keep this in mind.

One might disconnect the switch to turn the fans then go for a drive. Perhaps not on the freeway as the fan operation might decrease airflow through the radiator. Here some driving situation where in the past the coolant temp would go down then back up as the car slowed down or stopped. Determine if the temp gauge now stays normal when slowing down due to fan operation.

It is also possible the temp gauge sensor is bad but you implied you may have changed this.

Hi thanks for your reply. So once I disconnect wire from radiator fan switch and drive what do I look for? A stable temp? Thanks

Old 08-13-2022, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator

Not 100% sure. The fans should be off at higher MPH unless the A/C is working, then they should cycle on/off with the A/C compressor. Fans running constantly at higher speeds might impair airflow through the radiator, who knows, leading to a higher gauge temp indication.

When driving around and the temp gauge is now indicating normal, change the driving pattern to something that would normally cause the temp to rise. Here slowing down or stopping seems to cause issues. Determine if the gauge stays the same or still increases in temp reading. If the fans are running and the temp is still rising the issue maybe something other then the fan switch.

Old 08-14-2022, 11:50 AM

Not 100% sure. The fans should be off at higher MPH unless the A/C is working, then they should cycle on/off with the A/C compressor. Fans running constantly at higher speeds might impair airflow through the radiator, who knows, leading to a higher gauge temp indication.

When driving around and the temp gauge is now indicating normal, change the driving pattern to something that would normally cause the temp to rise. Here slowing down or stopping seems to cause issues. Determine if the gauge stays the same or still increases in temp reading. If the fans are running and the temp is still rising the issue maybe something other then the fan switch.
Hi again so I finally unplugged the radiator fan switch wire and drove around with the car and the car stayed stable with temperature not rising so would that mean it's probably the radiator fan switch?

Old 08-14-2022, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

Unless something unknown then yes.

You can test the switch by putting it in 199F+ water. The switch should open.

Old 08-14-2022, 08:13 PM

Unless something unknown then yes.

You can test the switch by putting it in 199F+ water. The switch should open.
hi again I know now the thermostat was bad. Put it in 180 water doesn't open at all. How can I tell if radiator switch opens? Ohm reader? Or hot water?

Last edited by Camrydude28; 08-14-2022 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-15-2022, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

The 180F T-stat is supposed to start opening between 176 and 183F. Supposed to have .31 inch of lift at 203F. These specs are for the original Toyota brand T-stat.

Orient the hole or jiggle pin in the T-stat flange inline with the protrusion on at the top of the inlet pipe T-stat holder.

The switch is on/off. Switch should closed at 183F and open at 193F.

Quick Reply: Camry 2000 temp gauge