Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   DIY - Do It Yourself (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-22/)
-   -   Camry acceleration pulsing (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-22/camry-acceleration-pulsing-38489/)

davenmic 04-12-2011 02:10 PM

Camry acceleration pulsing

This happened to someone in an older thread and I just came up with the exact same problem. I have a 2003
camry and on saturday it started pulsing while accelerating. There are
no noises at all. Just when you try to accelerate the engine pulses ... the rpms do not drop and no warning light ... if it were an extreme worst case scenario the car would be bucking. Any advise would be helpful...
also..Could it possibly be a catalytic converter? About a month ago every once in a while I would get that sulfur smell.

former thread:
https://www.camryforums.com/forum/ge...s-27729/page2/

toyomoho 04-13-2011 11:10 AM

What engine model?

Pulses but the RPM does not change?

Might check out the link below, read down about excessive sulfur smell:

Toyota Camry Check Engine Light - Catalytic Converter - Car Forums - Edmunds

If you think it is the converter and the car is under 96 months or 80K miles best take action before the warranty expires.

davenmic 04-13-2011 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho (Post 63056)
What engine model?

Pulses but the RPM does not change?

Might check out the link below, read down about excessive sulfur smell:

Toyota Camry Check Engine Light - Catalytic Converter - Car Forums - Edmunds

If you think it is the converter and the car is under 96 months or 80K miles best take action before the warranty expires.

2003 camry le v6 auto
178,000 miles
engine light is not on
Also it is starting to buck slightly and I shouldn't say the engine I should say the car as it could be the transmission is well... possibly?

ambersmith6591 04-13-2011 03:37 PM

I wanna say it could be a misfire, but you would have a DTC set if you had a misfire. It could be your transmission, does it do it when the car shifts gears, or just when your accelerating in general. Any specific speed or rpm does it pulse at??

davenmic 04-14-2011 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by ambersmith6591 (Post 63062)
I wanna say it could be a misfire, but you would have a DTC set if you had a misfire. It could be your transmission, does it do it when the car shifts gears, or just when your accelerating in general. Any specific speed or rpm does it pulse at??

It does it any time I accelerate any gear. I know what a misfire feels like and this is nothing like it. It feels as if you were pumping the gas slightly while accelerating..
Cruising on level ground it's fine but going up a hill it pulses...

xpeed 04-14-2011 04:01 AM

I believe it's the 1MZ-FE. You should first check your wires from the pedal to the throttle cable It could be faulty. Drive-by wires are reliable but some rare cases tend to snap or get stuck. It could also mean your transmission is going bad. Check the fluids and see if they're dirty or clean. Try flushing out your transmission oil and put in new oil as well as replacing your transmission oil filter. If it still persists, it could be your tranny.

Does it take longer than usual for the car to start going from a stop? Does your shifter slide more easily than it should? If all of these are evident, it's the transmission going bad.

davenmic 04-14-2011 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by xpeed (Post 63079)
I believe it's the 1MZ-FE. You should first check your wires from the pedal to the throttle cable It could be faulty. Drive-by wires are reliable but some rare cases tend to snap or get stuck. It could also mean your transmission is going bad. Check the fluids and see if they're dirty or clean. Try flushing out your transmission oil and put in new oil as well as replacing your transmission oil filter. If it still persists, it could be your tranny.

Does it take longer than usual for the car to start going from a stop? Does your shifter slide more easily than it should? If all of these are evident, it's the transmission going bad.

No different starting out And shifter feels the same... also when I floor it or just cruising, unless I'm going up the hill, there's no pulse.
I'll try a tranny service and see what happens
ty

full house 04-14-2011 09:32 PM

No different starting out And shifter feels the same... also when I floor it or just cruising, unless I'm going up the hill, there's no pulse.
I'll try a tranny service and see what happens
ty
that's weird!yah, it seem to me its 1MZ-FE...try to check it again.