DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Camry Passenger Axle Removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2023, 10:06 PM
Default Camry Passenger Axle Removal

Hi, I have a 2014 Camry Hybrid LE that needs new axles. I started removing the passenger side axle and the bearing bracket bottom arm is hitting the engine block.clip ring came off and the outer shaft came off the cv boot.

The bracket can move a bit but when I hit the bracket it bangs against the engine wall. The car is in the garage on Jack stands and I can barely get underneath to hit the axle. I used a long 2x4 to hit the bearing bracket from the driver side wheel well to knock it out half way of the transmission. Now I can’t push it out any further?

Any ideas how to push this out? Has anyone tried to raise the engine up from the mounts to clear the way for the bracket?

thanks
Sam

Old 08-29-2023, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

You might try Toyotanation.com in the appropriate year Camry section.

Note sure what the issue is here.

The passengers side axle going into the transmissions is typically NOT retained by anything inside the trans. Once the carrier bearing bracket is unbolted from the engine the axle should slid out of the trans easily. You already have half the axle off the car making the job easier.

The carrier bearing may be held into the carrier mount bracket by a cir-clip around the bearing outer race face plus a screw under the mount that drives into the bearing outer race from the side. If so, remove both and try to get the bearing still mounted on the axle shaft out of the mount.

If you remove the upper engine mount you should be able to lift the engine slightly. The trans is typically not bolted to the trans mount but free to move vertically. The other two engine mounts may be hydraulic and as such have some vertical free play. One can place board onto a jack and left the under up from under the car. The board will distribute the force of jacking point to prevent damage.

Old 08-29-2023, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
You might try Toyotanation.com in the appropriate year Camry section.

Note sure what the issue is here.

The passengers side axle going into the transmissions is typically NOT retained by anything inside the trans. Once the carrier bearing bracket is unbolted from the engine the axle should slid out of the trans easily. You already have half the axle off the car making the job easier.

The carrier bearing may be held into the carrier mount bracket by a cir-clip around the bearing outer race face plus a screw under the mount that drives into the bearing outer race from the side. If so, remove both and try to get the bearing still mounted on the axle shaft out of the mount.

If you remove the upper engine mount you should be able to lift the engine slightly. The trans is typically not bolted to the trans mount but free to move vertically. The other two engine mounts may be hydraulic and as such have some vertical free play. One can place board onto a jack and left the under up from under the car. The board will distribute the force of jacking point to prevent damage.
thanks for the reply
The axle is half way out of the transmission but the bracket is butting up against the engine so I can’t pull it out. I have removed the clip and the bolt from the bearing bracket but the bracket is stuck onto the bearing due to rust.

i tried jacking up the transmission but that didn’t work. So now I’m thinking of removing the passenger side engine mount and then lower the engine enough so the axle comes out. But the front motor mount may prevent the engine from lowering. The other option would be to cut the axle shaft.

Sam

Old 08-29-2023, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

Suggest you jack the car up higher for better access as you will need it.

Use a block against the mount and it hit with hammer hard until the axle comes out of trans with mount attached.

Or reattach the mount and use a large diameter punch or rod against the bearing race on the trans side and hit this with a hammer until the bearing come out of the mount assuming it will. A rust held bearing in the mount is not uncommon and may take a lot of force and or heat to remove the bearing.

I am not sure moving the engine around will do any good.

If you an electric or air powered disk cutter could use this but would avoid a hacksaw unless all is lost as it will be a lot of work.

Suggest once the axle is out to change the differential axle seal. Has happened it gets damaged but can't see it and will drip trans fluid.

Old 08-29-2023, 11:32 PM

Managed to remove the passenger engine mount and lower the engine enough to clear the bearing bracket and take out the axle. Next step remove the bearing bracket, hoping it’s not stuck too hard

Thanks again for your help
Sam

Old 08-30-2023, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

If you have another vehicle can take the part to an auto parts store that has a machine shop and with this a press.

When time to install the new axle take care not to damage the diff seal.