DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:46 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

? Changing to synthetic oil....

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 12:49 PM
DLW
Default ? Changing to synthetic oil....

98 Camry with 245,000 miles. Dino oil-OCI 3-5000 first 150,000 miles then OCI 3000 since. Runs nice so far. Some varnish noted a year ago when I had the valve cover off but no sludge noted.

I am going to try and keep this car for as long as I can and get a few things fixed that need it and try to get to 300,000 plus miles.

I have read a few threads about changing to synthetic oil and am planning to do so in this Camry and also my 2001 Honda Oddyssey with 111,000 miles.

I plan to drop some seafoam in to clean it up some before switching to synthetic oil.

My basic idea is to clean it with some seafoam, drain the oil, drop in 3/4 to 1 quart of Lucas oil and the rest of the oil change with synthetic. Then top of with Lucas when needed as it consumes about 3/4 quart every 3000 miles. Then drop some more seafoam in prior to future oil changes.

This may sound stupid-overkill, but I am planning on changing the synthetic oil and a Supertech filter every 2500-3000 miles to clean things up and just to take care of what I have well.

I went to Wallmart today and they have the following which I did not think was too expensive as dino oil is costing more and more.

Fully synthetics 5 quart jugs.......
Supertech $20
Mobil 1 $26
Mobil 1 High Milage $26
Mobil 1 Extended Performance $30

? #1- Is that OCI interval just rediculous?
? #2-Which of the above oils would you recommend?

Thank you!

Old 10-16-2011, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

There are a LOT of opinions on OCI's, changing over to synthetics, which brand of oil to use, etc.

The ToyotaNation site would have numerous posts discussing this, suggest you do a history search on this issue at the site.

Toyota is now recommending an OCI of 10K when using synthetics. Toyota has offered no documentation to support this however from what info is out there it appears synthetics can handle this fine.

For conventional oil would recommend a 5k OCI. Modern conventional oils and filters are much better then in the past when the 3K OCI was recommended.

Given the above 2500-3000 miles is too low for modern filters and conventional oil, and much to low for synthetics.

If 10K is too long for you suggest 5K.

As to oil brands, Mobil 1 synthetics are supposed to be one of the best. Many people use SuperTech synthetic and this appears to be a good product. I use SuperTech branded oil products in many applications.

I suggest using the regular Mobil 1 synthetic or the SuperTech product, either should be fine.

All the oil manufacturers state conventional oil and synthetic oil can be interchanged without a problem.

Synthetic's appear to clean things out nside the engine, one place being seals. The result being if a leaked before the change it may get worse after.

I suggest you just switch and forgo the Lucas and Seafoam products, I don't think you need them. Minor varnish is common with conventional oil and of no concern.

If you are concerned about the varnish and other debris breaking loose, change the filter early then cut it apart and see what your find. Most likely nothing will be found.

For filters suggest WIX or NAPA Gold (made by WIX). Having cut a few filters apart they are not all the same inside. I don't use SuperTech filters but then know little about them. Might cut one open, there is a website where filter construction for the major brands was compared.

The price of conventional oil has never dropped from when crude oil were high some years ago. Why, don't know. Perhaps the producers found they could hold the price up.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:19 PM

Another synth oil thread...

1. YES TO SEAFOAM!! The way I do oil changes is I pour a can of Seafoam into crankcase and drive on it for about 500 miles. Then change oil. Seafoam is absolutely safe to drive on and is an excellent cleaner.
2. No to Supertech, it's walmart oil. Are you serious?
3. Best oil I know of is Amsoil. Yes, it costs. You always get what you paid for. I used to do oil changes every 3 weeks, putting 1200 miles on my Honda weekly. I KNOW A THING OR TWO about oils ever since. Royal Purple is good oil, but Amsoil is da best on the market. I do 15 000 miles between changes on my wife's lexus, 12 000 on my Silverado. Around 10 000 on my TCH.
4. best filter available is Mobil1 followed by K&N filter.

now, here's a million dollar question to you. Does your Camry take oil? as if it does, you should not be switching to synth due to prohibitive costs. Quaker State will serve you well otherwise.
If she does not take oil, I'd have done this. Considering mileage and possible cleaning sludge effects. I'd have tried synth bland. Plenty around. If she does not take synth bland, then you can switch to full synth. If she does - well, back to conventional oils you go. You have my word - I have tried every single one oil on the market. I'd recommend QS as conventional, Amsoil or RP as synth, Lucas products as additives, Seafoam as cleaning agent. I use Supertech as flush oil, that's where it stops.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Walmart does not manufacturer their own oils, check out who makes their products and the reviews by end users. Why pay for advertizing in a product cost.

Seafoam is useful but over rated as is Lucas. If you want the same results just buy and use the chemicals in these products, they are all off the shelf.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:10 PM

I rarely get oils in Walmart...

If you want the same results just buy and use the chemicals in these products, they are all off the shelf.
I also have same thoughts about it.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:46 PM
DLW

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

I thought about it and made some choices......
I am going to stay away from adding Lucas at this time. I had all the major seals replaced 10 months ago and I do not want to add anything that (conditions) the seals etc. I am sure its great stuff but its thick and gooey and may be overkill for now. The car runs well. I may add some when it starts to run like crap, but for now will hold off.

Will probably add some Seafoam before oil changes. Probably not necessary, but it seems it will clean things up some without harm. I found the best price at Menards for $6 which is $3 less than the auto parts stores and wallmart. A bottle will get 3 clean ups before oil changes.

Did some research and pricing and was able to find some deals today.......Costco has Mobil 1 synthetic with a coupon special which brings it down to $4.50 a quart.

Advanced Autoparts.com has Mobil 1 oil filter on sale for $10 and they have a online special for 20% off items and I will forgo the shipping and pick it up in the store for a final price off $8 each.

So, for Camry 4cyl oil change it will run $26 + tax for Mobil 1 synthetic and Mobil 1 filter. Plus a couple of bucks for some seafoam. Grand total of $28 + tax. Plan on trying a 5000 OCI schedule.

My wife asked what I was doing. I explained since the car is 13 1/2 years old and has 245,000 miles on it I am going to switch over to synthetic etc. She replied..." Oh, sort of like buying and old dog you love some more expensive special food because you think it will help even though you know it problably does not have much time left" She is probably right. Ha!

So maybe Mobil 1 is to IAMS as Super Tech is to Old Roy? You wallmart shoppers may get that one.

Anyways....back to oil....

For Super Tech synthetic and filter and some seafoam it would be a little over $25 + tax

So will opt for the Mobil 1 combo and give it a shot.

Thanks again!

Last edited by DLW; 10-18-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

Great! Any of the synthetics should do fine in the car.

Although synthetics may not make that old dog run like new again being a better oil it will aid in extending its life. It is great for cold starts in cold climates and hot engines in hot climates, the oil is much more stable, flows better and does not break down as fast.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Walmart does not manufacturer their own oils, check out who makes their products and the reviews by end users. Why pay for advertizing in a product cost.

Seafoam is useful but over rated as is Lucas. If you want the same results just buy and use the chemicals in these products, they are all off the shelf.

opyo, I KNOW walmart does not manufacture its oils. with a little bit of history on the subject though, Supertech brand was widely retailed by Walmart all over the country, and at some point in time, was THE CHEAPEST oil you could buy. if my memory serves me well, I could buy a "convenient 5 qrt jar" for $2.+ or so.

hence "walmart oil". as in cheap. is that good enough reason? and like Britons say, we are not rich enough to buy cheap stuff.
mof, I can now buy QS oil for less than ST brand in same walmart, and use it now as flush oil.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:43 PM

DLW, please, listen:

Will probably add some Seafoam before oil changes. Probably not necessary, but it seems it will clean things up some without harm. I found the best price at Menards for $6 which is $3 less than the auto parts stores and wallmart. A bottle will get 3 clean ups before oil changes.

1. here's the thing. it takes a full bottle of Seafoam added to crankcase to do anything. And it takes time for it to do its job. So no, one bottle will do diddly squat if diluted over 3 applications.
2. BEWARE!!! at this mileage, a lot in your car is sealed, or even held together, by caked sludge. it goes into pores and micropores and simply plugs them. You taking a serious risk of opening micro leaks all over, by using cleaners. cleaners have to be used from the very beginning, or none at all, esp at advanced mileage.
3. if I were you, I'd let this Camry be as is. I'd have, though, switched younger stallions in your stable to synth. now that is safe to do.

just wishing you well, buddy. it's like automatic transmissions. you simply do not flush them at high mileage, or they will leak all over.

btw, STP is an excellent gas lines primer, and is sold cheap in 3 packs. cost is so low, that you can use it at every refill.

just fyi, my oil changes run approx $70 to $85, depending on engine size. yet, even at 5 000 miles oil change approach, it is still more cost efficient, as I do oil changes waaaaay past 10 000 miles. wife's Lexus simply does not burn Amsoil. 10 000 miles - it's only lite caramel in color.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:00 PM
DLW

As far as the Seafoam amount.........I was just going by the recommendation on the Seafoam website. On the website it recommends using 1.5 ounces of Seafoam per every quart of oil and run it at least 100 miles. Just going by their recomendation. I guess I was just figuring if it needed more that they would freely recommend more as they would sell alot more product. At the ratio they recommend it comes out to 5.5 ounces at a time, basically enough for 3 applications. I was planning on running it 300-500 miles. A little confused as to why they would recommend a full bottle at a time in the gas tank or a full bottle sucking it thru , but have a particular ratio with the crank case. Maybe they are just conservative if it cleans so much gunk out of a dirty engine at one time etc. It says its safe to use so the recommended amount or a full bottle should be safe. Will think about it.

Yeah, I know its a gamble with the seafoam and synthetic expossing leaks. I have been thru may share with this car, but its has been run hard for many miles. Its a machine and leaks happen with time-use, frustrating but expected. I had all the major seals changed for the first time about a year ago while the water pump and timing belt were being replaced. That was 14,000 miles ago. It has that going for it, but also has 13.5 years and 245,000 miles on dino oil too. Its a gamble for sure.

It may start leaking like crazy. Going to take the chance and find out. Will report the status down the road either way. If it cleans it so good that leaks are exposed I guess I will go back to dino oil and run it hard, low on oil for extended period to make some sludge for those seals ha!

If it leaks I will probably add some Lucas or other expensive engineered sludge to swell the seals up or whatever they do.

I appreciate all the feedback-info as this is new territory for me. All good stuff to consider. Thanks!

Quick Reply: ? Changing to synthetic oil....