DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 01:37 PM
Default Check Engine Light

1995 Camry XLE, 250K miles on odometer - Ck Eng Light came on. Plugged in scanner. Code that came up was P0401 - "EGR Flow Insufficient". Is this something that I can go to Auto Zone (et al) and get a replacement part that I can install and clear the C.E.L reading?
Or is it something that I'll have to have taken care of at a repair shop?
If it's going to cost multiple hundreds of $$, what will happen if I don't do anything? Dangerous to continue driving without having repair done?
Car is used mostly for trips to library, supermarket, etc (within 3 miles round trip) and for a few therapy dog visits to different places each month (all within an 8 mile RT).
THANKS ! ! !

Old 07-05-2011, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Suggest you do a search of this forum, the Toyotanation website (for the model of car) and internet. This code has been discussed before at both sites. There is a good writeup at this site, do a search.

The engine model is 1MZFE, code P0401. A common code that comes up.

Issues could be the exhaust gas recirculating system passages are plugged with carbon. This requires taking the system apart and cleaning the passages.

Other typical problems are bad VSV valve, position sensor, vacuum hose leaks.

The system is not difficult to work on but your better off doing diagnostic first rather then changes parts and hope. DIY aftermarket parts cost could range from low ($30ish) to mid hundreds depending on the part or problem.

Suggest you obtain more info before making the determination if you or a shop is going to do the repair. Your library may have manuals covering this car.

The EGR system is off when the engine coolant is cold, at engine idle and a few other times. As such short trips should not be a problem. The engine will produce more emissions, engine might run hotter on prolonged hwy trips. The check light being on the car will not pass a smog test. If your trips are 3-8 miles you will be OK.

Again do some research, may be a simple as replacing a bad vacuum switch.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:36 AM

use a diagnostic tool maybe will help...