DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Clutch Has Agenda On Its Own

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 06:01 PM
Default Clutch Has Agenda On Its Own

Hi guys,

I've read all the clutch problems out there but decided to give it one more shot here before I go desperate on my Camry'08.
The car has 90K on it and has been taken care of better than a human. Two days ago while changing gears the clutch disappeared. Looked underneath and saw it floored! Pulled it back and continued with no problems. The next day it felt softer. Fluid levels are perfect. No leakage inside the cabin or anywhere in the engine compartment. Master piston is dry. Bled the entire system and replaced the fluid with brand new DOT 3 at a local shop. Pedal feels a little stiffer now but not near as stiff as originally. The clutch when pressed down quickly and firmly goes back up normally. Gears change perfectly. But if I press on it gently and slowly with just a little pressure, it suddenly drops into "weightlessness" and goes to the floor by itself. If I pull it up and continue it acts as usual. Mechanics claim there's no air in the system. If it's one or both of the cylinders shouldn't it act up regardless how I use it and not just when pressed slowly and gently? Another thing I noticed is that now, when I'm in ,say 4th gear and start slowing down without shifting to a lower gear or going in neutral and just leave it in 4th, it would slow down to almost full stop without any rattling and shaking of the car that's usually associated with going too slow in a higher gear. Weird!

Thanks and Godspeed!

Old 04-23-2016, 07:01 AM

the clutch master is by passing its cup inside the chamber

the fix is
replace the clutch master rebuild is more risky
keep an eye on the slave cylinder that will probably go next

Last edited by dirty hands; 04-23-2016 at 08:24 AM.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator

Could the actuator be bad? I'm no expert on clutches so I figured I would throw that out there to the experts.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:52 AM

Just an update - it was the master cylinder gone bad. Replaced the slave as well. Both made by AISIN. Piece of crap! Beck&Arnley in their place!