DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:52 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Heater Not Working

Old 02-06-2012, 06:35 PM
Default 1998 camry Heater Not Working

I have a 1998 Toyota camry and my heater does not work. I have changed the thermostat flushed the heater core still no heat. I also touched the heater core will car was on and was HOT i assume the heater core is good. Can anyone help. Greatly appreciated.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:41 PM

I have a 1998 Toyota camry and my heater does not work. I have changed the thermostat flushed the heater core still no heat. I also touched the heater core will car was on and was HOT i assume the heater core is good. Can anyone help. Greatly appreciated.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:57 AM
Super Moderator

Does the heater blower work and blow air.

Is the climate system automatic or manual?

The climate system has a door then when moved allows hot, cold or mixed air into the duct system. The door is stuck in the cold air position. If an automatic system the door is moved by a small motor, this motor could have failed with the door in the cold position.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:18 PM

I am not sure if it is working. when i turn the **** air does blow out but not hot air. and my air condition does work, if it helps. The climate system door i think is manual, my friend looked at the door and said everything here is working. The heater core is not leaking and when the engine is running we touched it and was hot. So heater core is good i think. I dont know what else i should test or change. Lets say if the the heater blower is not working would i get any air blowing from the vents? cause mine does blow air but not hot air.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

How hot is hot? The coolant is around 190F, is the core approaching this temp? Or is it warm?

Assume you checked that the heater valve controlling core coolant flow is wide open.

If your getting a good amount of air out the ducts in proportion to the selected blower speed the blower is working OK.

Check if the climate control system has a door after the blower that moves in response to the selected temp to direct more or less air to either the heater core or AC evaporator. It cold be the door is stuck directing air to the evaporator. The heater core may be hot but no air is going through it.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:18 PM

I checked the heater core and its real hot, touched for couple seconds and almost burned me. I have not checked the rest of the stuff yet.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:28 PM

When I flushed my heater core (1990 Camry LE), I ran the water in through the out port (and out through the in port) three or four times and then reversed the hose and flushed it three or four times the other way. It didn't seem to have worked until I took the car out for a drive with the heat on full high. It worked!
Maybe there's some stubborn deposits in your heater core that need a more thorough flush?

Old 02-10-2012, 09:32 PM

But my heater core fees hot so i dont think its the heater core.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:39 AM
Super Moderator

Make sure blower air is moving through the core and exiting out the ducts.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:49 AM

Air is moving and exiting out of ducts but not hot air. As far as moving through the core im not sure how that is done. And where is the climate control system door located need to check if the door is stuck ona 1998 camry. Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Heater Not Working