DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Instrument cluster help!!!

Old 06-25-2012, 10:57 PM
Default Instrument cluster help!!!

Hi, I'm replacing the lights in my 1994 instrument cluster. I already have the speedometer and the tachometer blue tO match my radio and neon lights. I want to know if I can change the display color of the gears (PRND2L). Since its not displayed with bulbs, and instead displayed by wires. Here's a pic of what I'm talking about right in the middle of the cluster.
If anyone could help me out that's be great. Thanks.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

The P-L indicator should be powered by small light bulbs. The bulbs are clear, the lens is not.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho View Post
The P-L indicator should be powered by small light bulbs. The bulbs are clear, the lens is not.
I don't see bulbs behind the P-L indicator. I just see a series of wires that plugs in directly behind it.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:54 PM

I find that the lens is clear... not sure if it's allowed the change the display color it would be better if you can change it.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by full house View Post
I find that the lens is clear... not sure if it's allowed the change the display color it would be better if you can change it.
Not Trying to change the lens color just trying to change the color of the P-L lights underneath.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

Look for round plastic cap heads about 5/16 inch in diameter having a hex slot. The cap and bulb are one piece. Unscrew the cap and pull out, the bulb will come out with it.

Toyota sells clear and green bulbs only. Alternatives do not appear to exist.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:15 AM

Hi, Camry clusters use Toshiba V-2 sockets bulbs.. Sizes T5 , T6.5 , T10

we carry all Original toyota bulbs for replacement
please check out - www.speedometerbulbs.com/collections/toshiba
if you anybody needs replacements for theyr clusters / speedometers
thank you
-Bryan

Old 03-17-2016, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by full house View Post
The SAE, DOT, and auto manufacturers figured out a long time ago that green and fluorescent orange light attracts your attention faster and is easier to focus on in the dark.
Sure, you can change your color of the lights, but you have to deal with that .1 second or two to look at the cluster.

I've seen cars with light yellow/greenish colors like the fire engines put in the dash by Dodge.

I would be worried about putting too bright of LEDs in replacement to cause loss of night vision while driving at night.

Cheap way to make alternative colors would be to dilute nail polish with acetone to the tint you want, paint the light bulb. Or pick and LED lamp replacement of the color you want. Lasts longer.