DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Lucsas in a 98 Camry Differential Box?

Old 10-15-2011, 09:01 PM
DLW
Default Lucsas in a 98 Camry Differential Box?

98 camry 4cyl. 245.00 miles

It appears the differential box is going bad as seal to drivers side axle replaced twice and still leaking a 4 inch circle on the ground after every drive.

It seems a diff-trans rebuild will solve the problem, but short on cash and wondering about throwing big money into a car with 245,000 miles and lots of scratches, chips and touch up paint and early small rust starting to show.

The differential drain plug does have small metal shavings on it when I recetly did a drain and fill.

I do not notice any problems when driving, no noises or changes when driving. Just the leaking fluid.

My question........would it do any good just to do another drain of the differential box and refill the whole box with Lucas Oil Stabalizer and top off with more Lucas as it leaks?

I was at Wallmart looking at it and on the container it also recommends it for leaking and worn differential boxes at a ratio of 50-100%. Meaning they say I can pump my differential box full of the stuff and it will help. A gallon is $32. A diff box takes a little less than 2 quarts.

My hope by using it would be to slow the amount of leaking down as it is thick stuff and may ooze out less around the seal and also provide more protection to the gears that are already showing accelerated wearing-metal shaving.

My concerns are its thick stuff and I live around Chicago so its gets to zero some winter days, would it be too thick or work just fine?

My other concern is it may be a waste of time.

Would possibly leak less or provide better protection if I choose to keep driving the car this way with Lucas added in the diff box?

If I keep drivinhg the car would I get some warning if the differential is getting badly worn, or does the car just stop moving?

Any help-comments appreciated! Thanks!

Old 10-15-2011, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

Not sure.

Toyota recommends filling the diff with whatever the trans uses. Typically this is ATF fluid which is something like a 10 weight oil.

Lucas additives cause the seals to swell. This diff must have a bad bearing allowing the axle to move around too much. This type of leak may be too much for the additive.

Thicker oil would help but how thick is to thick.

Sooner or later the diff is going to fail. It could one day not move or might start making a whining noise from to much bearing or gear failure.

I suggest you determine just how much fluid is leaking out and compare this to how much is in the trans. Start with a lower percentage of Lucas (maybe 25%) and determine if this has any effect on the leakage.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:33 PM

is that a four wheel drive?

anyhow. no, Lucas will not stop any advanced leaks. I tried on my 91 Civic, waste of time and $$. Trannie runs a little bit better, but that's it. You either need to fix it, or let it be and keep replenishing fluid level.

MOF, I am not aware of anything that will stop advanced leaks. period. And I tried you name it. I used to have very chitty cars, you know.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:28 PM

its very tiring and waste of money with a car like that, leak is a big problem now-a-days.