DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:46 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

Oil Change for Toyota Camry 2010?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 01:21 AM
Default Oil Change for Toyota Camry 2010?

I am doing the oil change for my self. However, I have an issue to open the oil filter housing. My question is do I need wrench to open the oil filter housing? if yes. Could you point out what special tool do I need to buy to open? where could I buy the tool at? If not, how to open it. I was attempt to open with hand but no lucky because it was too tight.

Thanks for you help.

jack

Old 07-06-2010, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

An auto parts store should have a tool that will fits the bottom of the housing. The tool cup size is the same as when a can type oil filter was used on previous year cars. The tool fits onto the bottom of the filter housing as a socket would on the head of a hex head bolt.

The new filter element should come with new O-rings in the box.

Apply engine oil to the new O-ring before installation of ring on housing and again before screwing the housing onto the engine. Same for the drain plug if it was removed.

Don't over torque the filter housing or drain plug when installing.

Check for leaks after starting engine.

There are other posts on the internet on how to do this job.

Also do a history search at this site as I posted a link in a thread to a video on how to do the job. The V6 and 4 cylinder engines should use the same procedure.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:01 PM
Default All you need is...

All you need is the new filter cartridge that should come with the two O-rings (one large and one small) you need and the little bleeder insert tool to drain the housing before removing it and of course the filter cartridge.

The special tool is nothing more than a 64mm oil filter cap-end wrench. I had a 65mm and it slipped on me so all I did was take a heavy-duty paper towel... laid it loose across the mouth of the wrench... tucked it into the mouth of the wrench with a lot of it hanging over the edges and put it on the cartridge housing. The paper towel filled the 1 mm gap and gave the wrench some traction and it came off no problem... same thing going back on.

It is a little bit more of a hassle than what we all have been used to, but it is VERY accessible and better than battling with a canister type filter you can't reach or get a wrench on (like the 98 Altima I had where the filter was between the block and firewall!!! UGH !!!)

GOOD LUCK!!!

Old 07-20-2010, 06:40 AM

4 Quarts of 5-30W Oil should take care of yiur needs.

More important is replacing with a genuine Toyota oil filter.

If you want to be on the safe side, after successfully replacing oil filter: (i) take the dirty oil that you drained out and pour into like plastic gallon jug to get an idea of how much was inside before. Also better yet is after changing oil and running engine looking carefylly for leaks if something was tightened correctly, then turn engine off and look at dipstick reading after oil has settled back into sump.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Alexander
4 Quarts of 5-30W Oil should take care of yiur needs.

More important is replacing with a genuine Toyota oil filter.

If you want to be on the safe side, after successfully replacing oil filter: (i) take the dirty oil that you drained out and pour into like plastic gallon jug to get an idea of how much was inside before. Also better yet is after changing oil and running engine looking carefylly for leaks if something was tightened correctly, then turn engine off and look at dipstick reading after oil has settled back into sump.
toyota does recommend 0-w20 for all new camry 4 cyls. then if you must use another grade, the NEXT time they want you to go back to 0-w20. and they do recommend 10,000 miles intervals, which i personally do not wish to go that far either.

my thoughts regarding filters is this, the TRD oil filter is supposed to flow more quicker than stock toyota filter. would anyone here buy the TRD oil filter (priced about $12 each) rather than the stock..which is cheaper..???

Old 07-31-2010, 01:26 PM

the manual says use 0w-20. if you use 5w-20, than change it as soon as possible. like within a few days or 1 week. not your next oil change. i have no idea why folks think 30w is ok when the manual says 20w? heck, why not use 20w-50? higher viscosity means more protection? as long as it says "racing" on the label, its good stuff.

Last edited by joe_mn; 07-31-2010 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:41 PM
Smile Oil filter wrench

Go to Toyota dealer and make a special order for oil filter wrech part # 09228-06500-02 (stainless steel color). Cost will be about $60.00 plus tax. It works like a champ! Good luck!

Old 10-30-2010, 11:06 PM
Default Oil Filter Housing Replacement

I changed the oil & filter on my 2010 Camry LE for the first time today. What a job. The filter housing would not come loose. The local Advance Auto only had 65 mm cap wrenches and they didn't work, just kept slipping, so I returned them and used large vice grips to turn the housing, however, in the process, I chewed up the housing some since everything is cheap plastic these days..not the bottom edges so much but nearer the top. I read that a 64mm wrench should do the job but here's my questions:

If I ever needed to replace the oil filter housing does anyone know where I could order the part from other than a dealership? Are there any other good wrenches that can be used to remove and install? There's not much room for any wrenches other than cap wrenches. Also, can it just be hand tightened? The dealerships & garages tighten the filters/housings so tight you can hardly get them off. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:25 PM
Default Oil filter housing

I'm trying to replace the oil filter. The oil filter housing is stuck on. I purchused the 64mm 14 flat socket. Oil filter housing will not budge. Tried eletric impact and 4 foot breaker bar, engine hot and cold, no help. Does anyone have any other way of remove the housing?

Old 05-10-2011, 03:10 PM

the socket does not slip or spin on cartridge housing? and you cannot provide enough muscle to turn the cartridge loose? if you say so, i believe you. mine came loose. used 1/2" ratchet. maybe 12-14" long. i did notice a small metal clip on edge of cartridge. seems to be there to prevent cartridge from loosening? my clip was not locked into any tab so i don't really see the purpose of clip?

Quick Reply: Oil Change for Toyota Camry 2010?