DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:54 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

oil pan gasket for 98 2.2L

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 12:05 PM

Thanks for the TSB chart. I heard of dealerships trying to sell Type-IV/4 as compatible with Dexron-III/3, which this shows they're not.

BTW, Toyota Type-IV/4 should not be confused with Dexron VI/6. (GM never made an ATF called Dexron IV/4.) They went with D-II/2, D-III/3, then D-VI/6.

Old 06-20-2015, 06:18 PM

so we are all put together again.. I used the Ultra sealant, so will give it the 24 hr cure time. Other than the coupla bolts on the stiffener that were a problem to loosen, and of course the one broken bolt on the pan, that needed repair. Everything went smooth, except for working on the ground cause I dont have a lift, which took all the fun out of the job.
Tmrrw gonna add oil and trans fluid, and check to be sure. Now, just to be sure I understand, The Dexron VI is an acceptable fluid.. I was at AutoZone today, they dont have Dexron II or III.

Old 06-20-2015, 07:08 PM

Glad everything is coming together. Dexron VI is perfectly fine in your transmission. (Dexron VI supersede the old Dexron-II and III) The A140E is a durable transmission and it not picky on what brand of ATF as long as it's a type of Dexron.

Old 06-21-2015, 02:31 AM

Was at AutoZone, and saw a Castrol product, (dont remember exact product) labeled Mercon, but listed as "compatable with all Toyota transmissions."
I know this question is a little off subject, but could you clear up that statement.
Just from what I have picked up, it is clear that Toyota uses Dexron fluids.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

Don't know without the specific type of product.

The car maker picks or develops (common) a transmission fluid spec that meets their SPECIFIC needs. If a spec was developed the car maker can then license the spec (and the name they gave the fluid) to other transmission fluid makers.

Dexron is a GM licensed product, Mercon is Ford.

Toyota picked Dexron II and III which have are no longer licensed by GM and thus can not be sold under these names. Transmission fluid makers can make their own products the meet Dexron specs, they just can't used the name Dexron II or III.

As to compatible, the devil is in the details as the trans was designed for a specific type of fluid. Another fluid may work OK but the trans operate slightly different.

Products like Mobil 1, Valvoline Maxlife ATF, etc will result in a slightly differ transmission operation as the spec is not exactly the same as what fluid was originally used. This change in operation can be good, bad or not relevant.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:52 AM

Great !! Thanks for answering all my questions as I went thru these coupla jobs.
It all looks good, and clean. But, I do remember something about checking trans level while motor is on, somewhere from my past. (That is covering a few years,lol) Would that statement apply to the Camry. Right now, I started motor, put into gear a coupla times. When I turned motor off to check levels, engine oil was at bottom of range, so I topped off. The trans was in range using the bottom markers, (cold). I was going to recheck when trans is warmed up, just wanted to check to see if I should keep motor running when I check it. Thanks again for the help, and the reminders you threw in during the conversation.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:07 AM

Glad that's everything works out well for you. Yes, the Camry transmission (and nearly all autos) ATF level should be checked with the engine running. It's recommended to check the level hot for an actuate reading. Drive the car until the engine is fully warm up to normal then park on a level surface. Cycle through all the gear selections (P-R-N-D-2-L and back to Park) and let the engine run. Then check the transmission level; be careful of the engine fan nearby.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:05 AM

Thats what I thought. I will do that, before I go to AutoZone. I picked up one of those "cap" oil filter wrenches. It seemed to fit the filter I brought with me pretty well.
So back at the ranch, it spins on the STP filter in the car. So I just realized the filter hasn't been changed.. But that should wrap it up. I will be posting another question on A/C system soon. Until then, Thanks again for the help.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:32 PM

Well it didnt work out just perfect. I had to retorque the trans, and trace down a coupla leaks on the oil pan.
One problem the oil pan drain plug has a copper washer. Decided to replace that, so I picked up a package of assorted plug wshers. None of which were a correct match.
I used the copper washer with a larger O.D. The build up outside the O.D. of the original washer prevented it from sealing. Different style washer, problem solved.
But now that everything else is clean and dry, I realize there is a leak right above the flex pipe. I picked up some "Right Stuff" this time.. Hey! I had the Ultra here, and had the time to let it cure for 24 hrs. But this time, I will go right thru the job, and that should be the end of it..

Old 06-23-2015, 08:01 AM

Uh Oh ! The Ultra sealant is holding that pan on more than pretty well.. Too bad it was leaking in that one spot. Now unless you can give me some direction, to help me I will probably try to squeeze some more sealant in. Maybe that Right Stuff. And have to live with where I am. Right now I was just trying to free up the accessable rear edge. At this rate the right side. and front edge will be impossible. Any suggestions.

Quick Reply: oil pan gasket for 98 2.2L