DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Oxygen sensor fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 03:58 PM
Default Oxygen sensor fuse?

Hi

I have a P0135 code & the engine check light is on. I did a google search & it is suggested that I may have a faulty oxygen sensor but the first thing I should check before going any farther is the oxygen sensor fuse. I found this site & did a search for "oxygen sensor fuse" but nothing comes up. Does anyone know how I can find the oxygen sensor fuse? Thanks

Old 12-17-2016, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

Year of car and engine type, 4-cyl or V6?

Old 12-17-2016, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Year of car and engine type, 4-cyl or V6?
My car is a 2000 V6 XLE Camry.....thanks

Old 12-17-2016, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

The fuse is called EFI. It routes power via the EFI relay. The relay also powers other items.

This code is for Bank 1, Sensor 1. This is the first sensor on the exhaust system on the rear cylinder head bank.

Old 12-18-2016, 12:36 PM

The fuse is called EFI. It routes power via the EFI relay. The relay also powers other items.

This code is for Bank 1, Sensor 1. This is the first sensor on the exhaust system on the rear cylinder head bank.
Thanks for that. I located the fuse & it looks fine so I guess my next step is to check for correct wiring & then replace sensor. I have done a google search for checking wiring but I can't seem to find the wiring connector in my car. I am not a mechanic so I don't understand most descriptions. When someone says just in front of this thing or just behind that thing I have no idea what the thing is. I work much better with pictures. I have added 2 pictures of my engine compartment (1 left side & 1 right side) & if someone could point me in the right direction using my pics I would dearly appreciate it. Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Oxygen sensor fuse?-img_0736.jpg   Oxygen sensor fuse?-img_0737.jpg  
Old 12-18-2016, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

This oxygen sensor (O2) installs into the exhaust pipe to measure the oxygen content of the exhaust gas and to evaluate the working condition of the emissions converter(s).

The V-6 has at last 4 of these sensors.

Rear means closest to the firewall.

The V-6 engine has two cylinder banks of three pistons each having their own exhaust manifold. Bank 1 is closest to the firewall (rear). Bank 2 is closest to the radiator (front).

Each exhaust manifold/pipe coming off a cylinder head has 2 sensors. Following the exhaust from the cylinder head the first sensor found is called Sensor 1. The next sensor found on the exhaust pipe is called Sensor 2.

Bank 1, Sensor 1 means the rear exhaust and first sensor on the exhaust when moving from the cylinder head to the rear of car.

Old 12-18-2016, 07:31 PM

This oxygen sensor (O2) installs into the exhaust pipe to measure the oxygen content of the exhaust gas and to evaluate the working condition of the emissions converter(s).

The V-6 has at last 4 of these sensors.

Rear means closest to the firewall.

The V-6 engine has two cylinder banks of three pistons each having their own exhaust manifold. Bank 1 is closest to the firewall (rear). Bank 2 is closest to the radiator (front).

Each exhaust manifold/pipe coming off a cylinder head has 2 sensors. Following the exhaust from the cylinder head the first sensor found is called Sensor 1. The next sensor found on the exhaust pipe is called Sensor 2.

Bank 1, Sensor 1 means the rear exhaust and first sensor on the exhaust when moving from the cylinder head to the rear of car.
Thanks again for your time. I have circled in red what I'm guessing is the rear exhaust manifold?

Attached Thumbnails Oxygen sensor fuse?-engine.jpg  
Old 12-19-2016, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

Correct, "rear" exhaust manifold.

The bank of cylinders this manifold bolts to is referred to as Bank 1.

The written explanation for the code will refer to a Bank and Sensor to locate it on the engine. Such as Bank 1, Sensor 1.

Do an internet search on the code P0135.

This is a common code with this engine.

Old 12-19-2016, 02:46 PM

Correct, "rear" exhaust manifold.

The bank of cylinders this manifold bolts to is referred to as Bank 1.

The written explanation for the code will refer to a Bank and Sensor to locate it on the engine. Such as Bank 1, Sensor 1.

Do an internet search on the code P0135.

This is a common code with this engine.
I had the code read & as you say, it is a Bank 1 Sensor 1 HEATED OXYGEN SENSOR. I did a google search on how to find the sensor on my specific year, make, model but do luck. There are all kinds of videos on all kinds of models & they all show the sensor in different places. I cannot find a video on my specific car. Some of the videos have easy access from the top of the engine & some have much more difficult access from underneath. Some even show having to take off the engine air filter housing to get to the B1 S1 sensor. I just can't find a video from a 2000 Camry V6.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator

See link below on changing sensor.

DIY: 1MZ-FE rear bank air fuel/ O2 senor replacement. - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Read all posts for:
Using Denso brand sensor as may not have good results with other brands.
Need for any special wrench or socket to fit sensor.

Check Denso or other online parts sites to make sure you get the right sensor.

For emissions purposes, Toyota made a Federal and California car which may have different sensors. This will be specified as for California versus non-California which may as be called Federal.

Appears to be P/N 234-9007.

Sensor is for the V6 engine 3.0 liter (L) also called 1MZ-FE. Sensor location is the rear upstream sensor location.

If the sensor does not come with anti-seize material (a conductive high temp lubricant) on the sensor threads. Apply one sparingly to the threads that is stated to be OK for O2 sensors. Keep any lube OFF the sensor portion the goes into the exhaust pipe as this will contaminate the sensor.

One installed and all is OK. It may take a few trips in the car to turn off the check light
or it can be cleared with a code reader.

Quick Reply: Oxygen sensor fuse?