DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

question about transmission shock absorber...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 05:11 PM
Default question about transmission shock absorber...

I have harsh shifting from neutral or park into reverse (especially when cold and rpm's above idle) and also from 3rd into overdrive (hot or cold) and have checked/replaced the dog bone, front hydraulic, rear motor, and transmission side mounts, but i was wondering if these symptoms could be caused by that little shock absorber in the front of my gen.3 1mzfe a541e v6 94 camry xle? i don't see one on rockauto so I guess it's a dealer only purchase. I'd really like to know what it does (and what its called too) before i spend a lot of money to replace it.

(I've replaced the fluid several times and also the screen/filter and added Lucas but nothing has helped so far.)
(also, no change from pwr to normal ect modes and/or o/d on/off except that it doesn't go into overdrive with the button off of course but still harsh shift into reverse).

thanks
tony

Old 02-20-2014, 10:07 PM
Default idea

harsh shifting is a problem isnt caused by that shock
but it does need a better answer

happening above idle --- what happens at idle ? ... idle may be too high

the harsh shifting is something else maybe like the TPS / rpms / kickdown solenoid / /shift solenoids..?
when was the motor last tuned ?

the shifting should not be harsh or lumpy at idle or at any shift

you asked this question over at toyota nation about the shock
its part number 12037-62010 or get one from a wrecker will do

Last edited by dirty hands; 02-20-2014 at 10:31 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:00 AM

i can't seem to find anyone who can tell me exactly what the shock absorber is for unfortunately. i figure the guys with the coke bottle glasses put it there for a reason and since it's called a transmission shock absorber (or something to that effect anyways), i deduced it might possibly be something to absorb some of the shock of shifting gears and might be why i'd need to replace mine. i guess i'll go ahead and replace it and see what happens.
warm, at idle the shifting is ok but the o/d shock is still there. but there isn't any shock cold or hot into drive. also, neither of my 2 other toyotas have harsh shifts into reverse when cold and neither did my previous gen 3 camry, so i know it's not normal.
put the odbii on it and no codes. new plugs, maf, pcv, cleaned iac, and intake.
it kicks down at the proper speed. idle is 1200 cold, 600 hot.
thanks for your help.
tony

Old 02-21-2014, 02:29 PM

something wrong in the engine tuning tps adjustment something like that
wont throw up codes unless unit is faulty

i would be as concerned as you are till its sorted

that shock is to reduce the movement stress on the engine mounts
and is supposed to extend the life of the mounts

Old 02-21-2014, 07:11 PM

so, dirty hands, i think i'm gonna bite the bullet and replace it based on some feedback i got on the other forum. now i'm just trying to source it. i don't wanna pay oem prices and the bay aren't a whole lot better. pick a part might work as long as i don't mind ripping a couple off to make sure i get a good one. always a gamble there on hydraulic stuff but i think worth a shot in this case. thanks for yours and everyone else's help on this obviously difficult part to identify and probably rarely broken and/or replaced part.
tony

Old 02-21-2014, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

Please keep is updated with how things are going.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:31 AM

this picture is what one member supplied from other forum
only found on automatics ..they differ between models .. so limited supply of part from toyota supplier for factory fiitment
it is not a shock often replaced ...new hard to find ...so second hand it the best option

Last edited by dirty hands; 02-22-2014 at 01:36 AM.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:25 PM

thanks DH. yea, i'd seen that post before. in fact, that's the only way i was able to even find a part on the bay coz i had no idea what to call it. in fact, doesn't seem like many other ppl do either. i love this old 94 and want to get it right if i can, so i'll definitely report back after i source one and replace it. i'll say a little prayer right beforehand too.
tks
tony

Old 02-22-2014, 05:54 PM

As far as the "vibration damper" you seek...

I went and replaced every one of the engine and transmission shock/rubber mounts 2 years ago because of a nasty engine "clatter" between 1700-2400 rpms. I had replaced the "dog bone" torsion bar several years ago and that did it. Had replaced twice more and then the noise grew. So I replaced every mount. The rear motor mount was a 3 weekend dance with the devil, almost had to cut out the drive shaft to get old one out.

Anyway, your part can be ordered online through the Toyota parts supplier I used at 1994 Toyota Camry Parts - Toyota Parts Superstore . It is a genuine Toyota OEM factory part. I've used this site to buy genuine TOYOTA parts for cheaper than RockAuto or PartsGeek aftermarkets. Bookmark them. You'll be satisfied. My 291,000 mile '94 V6 is still tearing it up. Although tonight I need to replace the downstream O2 sensor.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:32 PM

thanks krivraq...fortunately my rear engine mount's still good cause i didn't even want to deal with that one right now. did you notice any difference when you replaced the vibration damper or did you do them all at the same time and the whole thing did the trick?
how did you get that rear mount off? that should make for a good story.
tks
tony

Quick Reply: question about transmission shock absorber...