DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:09 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

Seafoam treatment through intake hose?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 07:58 PM
Default Seafoam treatment through intake hose?

Whatsup gents? and ladies probably haha
I've got a 2001 Camry LE and I'm having a high idle on it, spoke with a few people and the suggested cleaning out the fuel injectors. Best way is a can of seafoam in the tank and an induction cleaning right?

I know there is usually a vacuum hose that goes into the intake manifold somewhere that you can unplug temporarily and use as a straw to suck down the a bottle of seafoam. Let it sit for 30 minutes and then pretend that your car is on fire while you smoke down the highway .
Can you guys suggest a good vacuum line to use for that? Or maybe another remedy for a high idle?

Old 04-14-2011, 03:42 AM

Usually, high idle points towards dirty IAC valve. Before you do any seafoaming, which is good in both ways, (Through gas tank which cleans out your fuel system and injection system and vacuum lines), clean your throttle body and IAC valve. If you're IAC valve is too dirty, replace it with new and you'll have normal idling rpms.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:41 AM

Sounds good xspeed, is carb cleaner safe for the IAC valve? or is there a special solvent? I'll take a look through the forum. Thanks again

Old 04-16-2011, 11:30 AM

^ I cleaned mine with just water but any solvent (not highly corrosive) should be fine. Just soapy water would suffice but like I said, if it's too dirty beyond cleaning, getting a new one would save you time and risks.

Old 04-16-2011, 03:38 PM

Gotchya, thanks xspeed

Old 04-18-2011, 05:39 PM

Just did the seafoam treatment through the brake booster line, pulled the line right before the small white filter and sucked down a bottle of seafoam in about a minute.
Let the car sit for about 30 minutes and drove around for 2-3 miles while people were giving me the most concerned looks ever! It's always a fun task. Going to change the oil in the next few days also, i'm sure there is a lot of grime in it now.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:32 PM

Let the car sit for about 30 minutes and drove around for 2-3 miles while people were giving me the most concerned looks ever! It's always a fun task. Going to change the oil in the next few days also, i'm sure there is a lot of grime in it now.
I tried this one, it work at afterward it goes back...

Old 04-19-2011, 03:42 AM

How's the idle? Is it still the same or did it lower a bit?

Old 04-19-2011, 03:50 PM

Idle didn't really change. I'm thinking maybe I should clean that IAC a little more... I sprayed intake/carb cleaner into the slot on the bottom once I removed the intake tubing but maybe it needs a better cleaning and some compressed air. There was some brown residue that came up when I sprayed the cleaner in the slot. Car still has a semi high idle at startup but after a minute or two of idle it drops down to 800. Any other ideas on what should be done to remedy this? Replacing the IAC valve? Does the Mass air flow play any part in this?

Old 04-20-2011, 10:57 PM

The MAF won't change anything if you touch it. It's probably the IAC. Spraying it from the outside won't do much. You need to completely take out the IAC, clean out the inside completely and reinstall it and see if the idling is still the same. If it doesn't do much, then you probably need to replace it with a new. I would probably clean it first before getting a new one. Does your RPM drop after you warm up the car? Does it drop low enough to shut down the engine?

Here's a link to another forum where a member shows you how to do it.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=361673

Last edited by xpeed; 04-20-2011 at 11:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Seafoam treatment through intake hose?