DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Security system alarm box location and disabling of

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 07:13 PM
Default Security system alarm box location and disabling of

I have a 2000 Toyota Camry and I'm trying to figure out what's going on. My car will not gain any power nor will it turn over. I think my security system has something to do with this but im not 100% sure. I'm wondering where the security box is located and how to disable it.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:16 PM

I'm having the same issue but I gain no power what so ever. I'm also looking for the security box and have no clue where it is.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Does the car have a factory, dealer or owner installed alarm?

Old 02-23-2017, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Does the car have a factory, dealer or owner installed alarm?
it is factory. Or at least I assume it is. It doesn't look like any work has been done so that's what I'm going to assume.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

Turn over as in the starter does not turn the engine?

The factory security system prevents engine from starting, not turning over.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:38 AM

Turn over as in the starter does not turn the engine?

The factory security system prevents engine from starting, not turning over.
I gain no power what so ever. Like when I turn the key to on there's no electricity to the car. It's like the battery is being drained and won't keep a charge. On top of that my alarm keeps going off and preventing me from starting the car.

Old 02-26-2017, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

The car gains no power? Does this mean you have tried to jump the battery, charge the battery or install a new battery and still have no electricity? If you tried the preceding did the battery go dead?

Typically no alarm system will totally turn off the power to all systems such as headlights and horn. It may prevent the engine from turning over but allow the other electrical systems to work. Or allow the engine to turn over but just not start.

The factory alarm system will activate if the battery power is disconnected then reconnected. When does the alarm go off?

The electrical system splits off after the battery. One leg goes through the ign key, another to varies items such as headlights.

Does the battery have a charge and is not dead? If so, do the headlights and horn work?

If not then the issue is typically the battery cable connections, battery cables, bad ground for battery cable. Bad battery cable connections might cause intermediate power failure and cause the alarm to activate.

There is also a fusible link in the battery cable going to the fuse box containing a 100 amp alternator fuse and 50 amp heater fuse (inside small box in engine compartment). If this fuse blows, no power will reach the cars electrical system. However if the alarm works, the fuse should be OK.

Note that there is a separate cable going from the battery to the starter solenoid. However this just powers the starter.

Old 02-26-2017, 05:33 PM

The car gains no power? Does this mean you have tried to jump the battery, charge the battery or install a new battery and still have no electricity? If you tried the preceding did the battery go dead?

Typically no alarm system will totally turn off the power to all systems such as headlights and horn. It may prevent the engine from turning over but allow the other electrical systems to work. Or allow the engine to turn over but just not start.

The factory alarm system will activate if the battery power is disconnected then reconnected. When does the alarm go off?

The electrical system splits off after the battery. One leg goes through the ign key, another to varies items such as headlights.

Does the battery have a charge and is not dead? If so, do the headlights and horn work?

If not then the issue is typically the battery cable connections, battery cables, bad ground for battery cable. Bad battery cable connections might cause intermediate power failure and cause the alarm to activate.

There is also a fusible link in the battery cable going to the fuse box containing a 100 amp alternator fuse and 50 amp heater fuse (inside small box in engine compartment). If this fuse blows, no power will reach the cars electrical system. However if the alarm works, the fuse should be OK.

Note that there is a separate cable going from the battery to the starter solenoid. However this just powers the starter.
ok so we've taken the battery in and they have said the battery was at 78% after they checked it. So we assume it's the security system doing this to us. It has no power what so ever and this is while the battery itself is at 78%. I have checked fuses they are all good. We can jump the car and it'll work but if we shut it off it acts like the battery is dead again. The battery is good. We believe it's the security bc it's not allowing power to anything. The horn and lights will not go off when there is no power but they will go off when I open any of the doors and connect battery. I'm trying to figure out how to totally shut the security down and leave it with the starter being able to still function.