DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Tire Inflator Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2022, 09:35 PM
Default Tire Inflator Advice

My air compressor seems to have died. I don't use it much - I really only use it to fill my tires up. So either a tire inflator or a compressor would do the job.

I'm looking for recommendations for a new one. One complaint I had about my old one is that it took FOREVER to fill a tire that was more than a few pounds off (I have one similar to https://www.campbellhausfeld.com/3-g...category_id=78). So I want the new one to inflate fairly quickly. I don't especially care how loud it is.

What should I look for? Any specific models you've been really happy with?
I was looking at the Dewalt DCC020IB. Seems to be excellent but is kinda pricey and doesn't even come with a 120V power cord (this is important to me).

Thanks!

Old 01-26-2022, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

If you are looking for a tire inflator or compressor start by determining your needs.

How much time do you want to spend filling a tire?

What is your price range?

Every tire inflator and air compressor has a compressor. Compressors are rated by cubic feet of air per minute CFM) delivered at a given pressure. As in say 5 CFM at 90 psi which is a pretty standard pressure.

A tire might hold 4 cubic feet at 32 PSI and need 1 to 2 cubic feet (CF). A 2 CFM tire inflator it is going to take a while to fill it.

If you want a quick tire fill get a compressor with an air storage tank. The compressor can fill the tank with say 4-6 CF of air at 90 psi, then when connected to the tire fill it quickly. The filling time depends on the number of CF the tank holds at an assumed 90 psi.

Tire inflators by are by design very slow to fill tires!

The Dewalt you list is designed for air guns, etc which need a quick blast of high pressure air not a sustained flow of air.. A tire needs sustained low pressure air.

There are 120v tire compressor such as from Husky but they don't have tank.

Can you repair the larger air compressor? This would be my first choice unless its damaged beyond economical repair.

Old 02-06-2022, 09:01 AM

I have a 60gallon North Star compressor I use for air tools mainly but it sure is nice with 50 foot hose to fill up all tires on several cars.

CFM at 90 PSI 11.5 Max. PSI 135 CFM at 40 PSI 13.4

Ran the pipe myself but had an electrician run the 220V to the garage. Three years and no problems. Not easy to get from truck to garage from supplier. Long story. First one was damaged in transit and returned.

Old 02-18-2022, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by wdc123
I have a 60gallon North Star compressor I use for air tools mainly but it sure is nice with 50 foot hose to fill up all tires on several cars.

CFM at 90 PSI 11.5 Max. PSI 135 CFM at 40 PSI 13.4

Ran the pipe myself but had an electrician run the 220V to the garage. Three years and no problems. Not easy to get from truck to garage from supplier. Long story. First one was damaged in transit and returned. snaptube vidmate
good job ! same as mine

Last edited by gareth cage; 02-18-2022 at 05:05 PM.