DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

What kind of timing check light I need?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 11:49 PM
Smile What kind of timing check light I need?

Hello all,
I was reading a Chilton's manual for my car and it said I need a tachometer that will connect to my distributor on my '90 Camry 3FSE 4-cylinder engine that has a IIA service connector?

Does anyone know what I need to look for in a tachometer, cause I can not find a tach meter that says it has a type or series IIA connector online? Can I modify a tach meter to plug into my distributor's Type IIA service port? I just replaced my water pump and am aligning the timing belt. I need to check the ignition timing once I get it all back together.

A post I read on a Google search said I need a timing light with an induction clamp, this I found on eBay. Some have tach meters with them also, but no mention of a type IIA service connection. Let me know and thanks for reading this.

Please let me know
Thanks

Last edited by seandil; 04-09-2011 at 01:09 AM.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

Unless you moved the distributor the timing should still be within the acceptable limits.

The new belt will have the same design as the old. The distributor is connected to the camshaft. If cam and crank pulley alignment is correct when the new belt is installed and the distributor has not been moved, the timing will stay the same.

For 1990 engines there is supposed to be a service connecter for the tach. Check the around the distributor housing for a cap that can be removed to expose an electrical connection. The pickup lead from the tach would go here. The tach would be powered by connecting it to the cars battery.

The timing lights having a tach would use the ign spark pulses to determine RPM.

For both the tach and timing light there is typically some switch or chart allowing the operator to set or use the correct scale for the number of cylinders an engine has. Typically hese products are used on engines having 4,6 or 8 cylinders. The tach does not know how many cylinders the engine has.

Personally if didn't have the tach and RPM tools or could not borrow or rent them cheaply would not bother with checking the ign if the engine ran (I assume) as good as before the belt change.

One other issue, sometimes after timing the engine it has problems idling for a few engine starts. The computer appears to be working a few issues out then everything returns to normal.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:32 PM
Cool

Thanks Moho,
I understand what you are saying, but as far as I know the timing has NEVER been checked and I have removed the distributor several times. I even rebuilt one that had an after market ignition coil go bad on me and now use two, exchanging them every couple of years. A mechanic installed another distributor in my car from a wreck, so I could get the car home when it quit on me. You see the computer froze up giving me a lit up yellow dash blinking error and stranded me 125 miles form home.

He reset my computer when he changed out the distributor and gave me the bad one back, which I fixed from parts off another one I bought off eBay from a wreck for $38.00. That's how I ended up with two. I have owned the car since 1993 and am the 2nd owner.

My manual simply said that a "special" kind of tach meter was needed to do a timing check and I was wondering if anyone knew what I should look for when looking for one on say eBay used? I know it plugs into the distributor and I think the connection is a OBD IIA connection?? I have seen tach sets on eBay including a gun and tach meter, but only one with an inductive clamp and nothing with a meter that says it has this plug connection.

I was going to call Autozone hear as they have a tool loner program, but if I can find one cheap, I would purchase it. The problem is I do not know what I am looking far and was asking people like you if you knew what brand of tach meter would fit my needs.

I think to let the computer adjust itself you jump the TE1 and E1 leads on a box in the engine which tells the computer you're resetting the timing. Once they are removed, like you said, it self adjusts a few times over next few starts?

Thanks for the advice and help sir.

Please let me know what to shop for..

Old 04-09-2011, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

I don't use this type of system on the cars I repair so not up to speed on recommendations.

The Toyotanation website is also a good site to ask for recommendations.

The manufacturers at the sites below make good products.

Equus Products, INC.

Actron®

Prices for various models range from $30 to over $100. I assume you will not be using the unit on an ongoing basis so might ask if your friends have one, try tool rental places, etc.

Below is a cheaper cost model. I assume if lightly used it will hold up over time. There are some complaints of the plastic cracking on Equus but a decent price.

Walmart.com: Equus 3551 Innova Inductive Timing Light: Automotive

Ebay may have better prices.

Today timing lights with an inductive pickup are the standard design. The sensor pickup clamps over the ign wire cable without making electrical contact with the ign wire inside the cable.

The cigarette type tach picks up the electrical pulses (ripple) in the output from the alternator. This type is used at auto emission test centers.

The advantage to the combo timing light/tach is you don't need to hook an additional wire up to the ign system to obtain RPM info.

Last edited by toyomoho; 04-09-2011 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:30 PM

I just wanted to mention that this IIA connector I have been talking about is simply what someone else mentioned, its a 1/4 in. male spade connection or male 'quick connect' fitting. I am considering getting a digital timing light off eBay that has a tach meter within the unit.

Does anyone have an opinion on how well they work? Buy yhe time I buy a timing light and multimeter with a tachometer, it may cost the same?