DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Windshield wiper broken

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 05:19 PM
Default Windshield wiper broken

99 camry (gen4)

i dont really know the terminology for windshield wiper assembly so i sure what i need. it was 8pm and a blizzard. i know i lost the pin but a piece is broken and i dont know what it is or how to fix.

the passenger side windshield wiper broke where the pin connects to the base of it.

wiper arm -> spring thing -> pin -> broken piece (pictured

and this is whats left

does anyone know where to buy replacement parts or any advice to repair would be greatly appreciated. let me know if you need any clarification

Last edited by built2burn; 02-08-2011 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:32 AM
Super Moderator

Does the wiper that is NOT broken look kind of like the wiper arm in the link below?

http://www.partsgeek.com/mmparts/win...ota/camry.html

If so this is called a wiper arm. It connects to a splined shaft protruding from the car body. The shaft rotates and this moves the wiper arm.

You need to obtain a replacement are as replacement parts are not available and this one appears unrepairable.

An auto salvage might have a used one, auto part store or the Toyota dealer can get one in a day or so if not already in stock. Call around, ask for a wiper arm fitting your make, model and year of car and the side of the car that has the broken part (drivers or passengers side as the two arms may be different). It is easy enough to replace, where every you get the part ask how to remove the old one and install the new one.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:27 AM

The crank arm on your wiper motor is a complicated little assembly which allows the wipers to "park when you turn the wipers off. It does this by lengthening when on and shortening when off. As a by product of this, it is a little bit fragile. Yours broke from wear and tear or because one of your wiper arms came loose on its pivot.