ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

88 camry wagon power windows do not work

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 04:23 PM
Default 88 camry wagon power windows do not work

I bought an 88 Camry wagon where the power windows quit on the previous owner, he had a toggle switch put on the drivers door window. I followed his lead and put a toggle switch on the other windows, each having a direct feed from the battery. I recently purchased 90 Camry wagon, and amoung other things have replaced the door panels including the window switches, however the windows do not work, I believe I will have to go over the entire window circuts, where do I start. All the doors are rewired with the cables from the 90. The windows and locks on the 90 did work, and yes I changed out the door locks too. As I rewired the divers door, I tried to run a wire from the hot lead from the plug that goes into the door to roll up the window, however when I hit the toggle switch the automatic seat belt moved, mind you I was hard wired to the window motor, I still scratch my head on that one. Using a direct lead from the battery I did get the window up. As for the seat belt it retracted and has not moved since. I'll need help with that too.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

The AutoZone website may have a wiring diagram in their vehicle repair guide section.

Which plug did you wire directly to the battery?

Perhaps you wired up the seat belt motor by mistake.

The drivers door motor has red and green wires.

The passengers switches are not typical switches as each switch has three wires running to it. One is purple.

The purple wire is always hot, the other two wires run to the drivers door switch.

When the drivers door switch is operated for a passenger window, power flows through the two wires and the passenger switch to the motor. If the drivers switch is moved in the opposite direction the polarity in the wires changes and the direction of the motor.

The passengers switch does not use positive DC power from the drivers console but from the purple hot wire. The passengers switch directs the power to the correct electrical terminal of the motor for CW or CCW rotation-window up/down. The return power is routed through one of the two wires going to the drivers switch as directed by the passenger switch.

If the passenger switch is moved in the opposite direction power goes to the opposite terminal of the motor and returns by the other wire going to the drivers console.

When the drivers control switches for the passengers windows are in the off position both of the wires running that passengers windows are connected at the drivers switch then run to ground.