ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

door locks not working with fobs

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2022, 02:47 PM
Default door locks not working with fobs

As the title says, all of a sudden neither key fobs unlock the doors in our 2017 Camry I4. The entry system is not Smart version.

What I have done is tried both key fobs, took the battery out of 1, it measured 3.04V. Got new batteries, cleaned the contacts with a pencil eraser Skimmed through the owners manual, not really helpful save for replace battery. Also the door lock switches work only if the doors are closed. I read in the Owners Manual the key will unlock all the doors if manually turn the key to the right to unlock, doing it twice will unlock all the doors. Tried that once didn't work.

The trunk release and the alarm emergency button on the fobs don't work either

Went into the settings on radio and turned off the auto lock features, pulled ecm1 fuse. Posts on the battery needed cleaning up so I pulled the terminals to clear the ECM and whatever else. Anyone have any suggestions?

edit- also have tried the programming mode for toyotas, didn't get the confirmation lock/unlock or any other signal that it went into programming mode.

Last edited by pbroussard; 06-05-2022 at 03:00 PM. Reason: add info
Old 06-05-2022, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator

I hate to turn this over to a dealer but I think reprogramming is in order.
Very strange your situation though and it shouldn't happen like that.

Old 06-06-2022, 12:57 PM

Yeah, posted this on a couple forums, your reply is probably the most helpful. I do have a brotherinlaw 120 miles away who is fixing to retire as a Master Toyota tech, guess I'll run it by him. At least if I bring it to him we won't get raped.

Old 06-07-2022, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

Sometimes the FOB radio receiver or the computer that operates the locks goes bad.

Old 06-07-2022, 03:37 PM

Well talked to brother in law and stumped him with this. He said they shouldn't do that, but since he's retired now, he will call a buddy still at the dealer and ask. He said they may be able to reprogram them, but will check.

toyomoho, that is what I was thinking, more of a receiver thing by the symptoms. I checked any fuses that had anything to do with coms or locks. Might just check them all.

Old 06-07-2022, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

Keep us posted please.

Old 06-08-2022, 10:51 AM

I certainly will, maybe it'll help someone else down the road. Do you happen to know the location and what fuse the receiver and lock computer are on? We live out in the country, if we don't drive it for a few days mice tend to set up shop, but mostly in the colder months. I could check for frayed wires closer, I did do a quick check under the hood.

Old 06-08-2022, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator

To be honest I don't, but do you have the owner's manual?
Man, I miss the days of Haynes manuals...

Old 06-08-2022, 11:45 PM

Yes I do, the owners manual that came with the car. I'll look through it tomorrow.

Old 06-08-2022, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

Look for relays and fuses, I hope they still have that stuff in the manuals!

Quick Reply: door locks not working with fobs