ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:51 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting
Print Wikipost

headlight problems need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 05:07 PM
Default headlight problems need help

My headlights want work until i mash back on the switch(only bright lights), but when i let go of the switch no lights. i bought a combination switch off ebay still same problem. i also bought a new headlight relay and installed it,this problem started when it rained for about a week. This is a 1991 camry.

Last edited by jjpoe8; 10-13-2009 at 06:15 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:59 PM

Try replacing the dimmer switch if not connected to combo-switch,they are available seperately at parts store(napa)I replaced both i mine and it fixed my lights.Mine were doing exactly waht yours was doing

Old 11-11-2009, 11:21 AM

I've got a similar problem. The parking lights and the dash lights stay on, even after I turn off the car. I looked up the wiring diagram of the car, and found the control wire for the parking lights: I can ground it, and it will spark and turn off the lights.

Also, The headlights won't come on; I have to fiddle with it a lot, and if its at night the automatic lights will turn on after much fiddling with the turn signal lever that controls the headlights. But then the parking lights and dash lights will be stuck on when i exit the car. The only way to turn them on during the day (without the automatic lights triggering it to go on), is to take that control wire and touch it to 12V.

Any ideas what this might be? I opened up the steering column, and the lever is connected to some kind of relay that might be the problem. Are there other relays that might be the issue? What does this sound like?

Old 11-12-2009, 08:59 AM

You might have 2 problems,headlight problem probably in the switch,would rec replace both switch and dimmer,avail. seperately at napa.Second,prob have auto lighting relay sticking,should be able totrack problem using diagrams.Go buy a $10 test light,you can hook a test light to neg terminal of battery to ck. voltage,but you can hook it to pos term and ck for grounds where diagras says there should be.You can use it to ck your switch.You will also need a cheap ohm meter.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:32 AM

Hey guys I have a 92 Camry, and the problem started when my ecu-ig fuse blew and I had to use the over ride lock to change gears. Then the TAIL fuse blew and knocked out my dash and tail lights. Replaced both everything was fine. Then a couple weeks later the TAIL fuse blew again and kept blowing every time I turned the lights on. I checked all the fuses in the box to make sure all the fuses were of correct amp, I changed one from a 10 back to 7.5 and the problem was resolved. But the air bag and cruise control light keep blinking even with the correct fuses in place.

My car stopped on me Mon, and found that the batt terminal was dirty yesterday I took off the cable cleaned the terminal the car cranked right up and last night driving home from school the dash and tail went out again, blown fuse. Tried replacing fuse it kept blowing again but this time which didnt happen the 1st time is the head lights went out and now those fuses keep blowing....can anyone help??? I think I have a short or a bad relay...what do you think were do I start?