ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

Newbie needs help - desperate

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 08:30 AM
Default Newbie needs help - desperate

I have a '92 Camry LE 2.2 engine that won't start. It is getting fuel but no spark. It turns over and acts is if it's going to start but won't. I've checked that the rotor in the distributor is turning and it is. I believe that would rule out the timing belt. It has no codes in the computer.

I've replaced the coil, ignition ignitor, main engine relay, and fuel injection relay. No fuses are blown. I suspect the ECM is the problem. Am I on track or not? PLEASE give some advice on what to do next.

The car is sold to a friend who is paying me payments. So I need to fix it asap.

Last edited by Street Rat; 02-19-2014 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Check for 12v when ign on at coil + terminal of coil. Might be Brown wire.

Check wiring between coil neg terminal and igniter. Might be Black. And all other ign and distributor wiring.

If coil is external to distributor, remove high voltage ign wire from dist cap (comes from coil). Hold 1/2 inch from chassis ground and crank engine. If spark, should be white in color and able to gap this distance.

Assume coil is OK and ignitor OK since replaced.

Otherwise:

Install a metal screw, etc, into one of the ign wire spark plug sockets. Then test for spark as stated above. Test each plug wire.

Spark plug wire resistance is no more then 25K ohm per wire.

Check resistance of pickup coils in distributor. Should be between 140-180 ohm.

There are two coils having a common wiring connection and three wires at the connector plug. Use ohm meter to find common connection. Then check ohm reading of each coil.

Check air gap between distributor rotor (inside distributor, looks like small gear) and coil. Should be 0.008 inch or more.

There is no test for ignitor or ECU except if having an oscilloscope.

If some spark at all, then ECU and igniter OK.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:20 AM

Joey,
Thank you for the prompt and detailed response. I will do some more checking today and report back.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:08 AM

Okay I was back at it this morning with no success in locating a problem. I ran a compression check and each cylinder checked out fine. I checked the resistance of the spark plug wires and each checked out fine. I checked for spark at each wire and I am getting a spark at each plug. I pulled the distributor and checked the pick up coil and crank sensor and both were in specs. I checked the coil resistance and it was within spec.

Here is what is happening...I get fuel because I can smell it. I get spark because I tested for that and saw it at each plug. I have compression because I checked each cylinder and got good numbers.

I AM AT A LOSS FOR WHAT IS GOING ON HERE. I AM SO FRUSTRATED WITH THIS PROBLEM.

What should be my next plan of action? Should I change the ECU?

I plan on getting some dry gas just in case I have water in the fuel. Then I'm at you peoples mercy.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:10 PM

PROGRESS FINALLY

I ASSUMED that I was getting enough fuel because I could smell it. I sprayed starting fluid into the air intake and it starts and runs until the fluid is used up. So I am not getting enough fuel. New set of problems and diagnoses. By the way I put two bottles of dry gas in the tank just in case.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:34 PM

well.. fuel pump/ blocked fuel filter / or the relay/faulty fuel pressure regulator on the end of the rail .

check the pump fuse

Last edited by dirty hands; 02-21-2014 at 04:27 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by dirty hands
well.. fuel pump/ blocked fuel filter / or the relay/faulty fuel pressure regulator on the end of the rail .

check the pump fuse

Pump fuse is good. Checked the relay continuity per shop manual yesterday. It checks good. This car has the original fuel filter on it. I purchased one and never put it on. So I'm hoping that is the problem. I'll try that first today.

Will pull back seat today also and check for fuel pump operation by shorting FP and +B on check engine connector. Then check pump resistance. Will report back with findings later.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:12 AM
Thumbs up She runs again!

I just changed the fuel filter and that was the problem. The little "Creampuff" is back on the road.

Thanks for all of the quick responses. I really appreciate it!

Old 02-21-2014, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator

Awesome!! Glad to hear it's on the road again!!

Old 03-06-2014, 07:39 AM
Default Broken Again!

The car ran long enough to go get washed and now it's broken again! The problem is a check engine light at startup. When I try to retrieve the code it shows that there is no problem with the system. It idles rough and I can't drive it without it stalling. any suggestions on what to check or replace? PLEASE HELP.

Quick Reply: Newbie needs help - desperate