ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:46 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior
Print Wikipost

Power locks/windows failed..please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 03:35 PM
Default Power locks/windows failed..please help

Hey all, I have a '96 camry LE and have been driving around with no power windows and locks for a few months now and am very tired of it. They stopped working suddenly overnight (from every switch), I had not been tinkering with anything. The ONLY thing that works is power locks from the passenger side..

Things I have tried: replaced a pink 30A fuse in the area of the left knee ( I googled this problem and people have had success replacing that fuse). I've taken all the plastic panels off from there but have no idea which other fuses to check.
I've also unplugged the driver side controller and tested for continuity per a Hayne's manual diagram to no luck. No continuity between any of the things that should be, I tested my passenger side switch for continuity of the power lock and it does work (just to test my technique since I have never done this before).
Please help, it's getting hot soon and i HAVE to fix the windows... thanks for any help anyone can give me.

edit: Anyone know where the power fuse and relay are for the windows/locks? I have a Hayne's manual but all it says is 'to check the fuse' and has a vague diagram showing that they are somewhere below the steering wheel. arg
Also, I want to check the wires in the rubber conduit between the door and chasis. How do you check them without cutting the boot?
edit: this is the pink 30A fuse I replaced to no luck: from this thread:http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=258637Name:  IMGP0327.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  56.9 KB

edit: I said screw it and cut a slit in the rubber boot. I found 2 wires broken, a white and green one..anyone know what they do? I will be soldering them back together and update.

Last edited by spoolin; 03-27-2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:37 PM

Ok, soldered the 2 broken wires and was successful! For anyone else with the same problem and have already changed the fuse, check the wiring between door and frame...can't believe the wires actually broke. Yay, I can open my windows again!!!

Old 03-27-2009, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

Great job!

The broken wires are a common issue as these cars get older.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:17 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks, I decided to check them because I saw you tell so many other people to check them in other threads.

Old 03-28-2009, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Glad to help!

Old 03-29-2009, 07:35 AM

The power windows master swtich ( driver's) did not work, but the power lock works. I have replaced the power windows master switch, but same probem ( Windows failed to work, but locks works).
The wires have been checks, and works. Is any other issue I missing?
I noticed there is a power windows relay in there, but does it built inside of Power Windows Master Switch or a seperate unit inside window.