ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

Strange Headlight / Electrical Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 01:10 PM
cjh
Default Strange Headlight / Electrical Problem

As of yesterday, my 1997 Camry developed a very strange problem with the headlights that I can't seem to track down. Here are the symptoms:

1) headlights do not work when the car is running. I still get all other exterior lights and dashboard lights, just no headlights. The headlight switch works normally to turn off the exterior/interior lights (just the headlights aren't working).

2) when the car is turned off, the headlights are always on regardless of the headlight switch position.

Story: I got to my car late last night after leaving it in the airport parking lot for a few days and my battery was dead. I got a jump start and began to leave when I noticed that it my headlights weren't working, but all other lights worked normally. I thought that I had a blown fuse and that I would call my wife for a ride and fix it in the morning. When I turned off the car, the headlights lit up. No matter what I did, the lights stayed on with the car off. I restarted the car (hoping I would have lights to get home) and the lights went back out. Anyway, the lights suddenly coming on with the car off explains why my battery was dead when I found the car, but now I need to know what is causing the lights to come on when the car is off.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

Does the car have auto off, auto on or daytime running lights?

What engine V6 or 4 cylinder?

Old 03-13-2009, 09:34 AM
cjh

Sorry, I should've given more info. It's a 2.2L 4 cyl with headlights that are auto off, and no daytime running lights.

In order to drive it around and not always have to disconnect the battery cable, I pulled the headlight relay. As of now, I'm thinking the relay might be the problem, so I have one on order that will arrive tomorrow morning. I'm hoping that works.