ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

Tail lights issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 02:17 PM
Default RE: Tail lights issue

Alleluiah! Fixed. After a little more research, and getting a hold of my mechanic, I found out there are 2 fuse boxes. Haynes manual only tells of the fuse box inside the vehicle for Avalon models. But for the Camry they only mention of the one under the hood. I always thought that there should be one inside, but where I thought it should be there was only a little compartment (looks like for change) that flips down.

After some confirmation, I started to look around inside but still couldn't find one. So I decided to pull out the change compartment for the hell of it. And voila! There they were. And the the tail light fuse (marked in writing) was there. And it was blown. Didn't have any spares so I just swapped with the heater fuse (same amp). Now the tail lights, license plate light, and the side marker lights are all on. I'm just a little disappointed though that I broke a couple of plastic brackets a wire harness was clipped to, trying to get at the bulbs yesterday. Not to mention some cuts on my fingers. lol.

Thanks for all the input and patience!

Old 07-03-2007, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

your car should be identical to mine...generation 4 camry's are built the same. The back of the haynes manual i belive shows the circuit diagrams which may help you out a bit.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:06 PM

I'm hoping that I'll never have to actually refer to those charts. ;-)

Quick question (don't mean to hijack this thread), on a scale of 1 - 10 (1 being a 12 year old can figure it out, 5 being a person who's automotive knowledge is limited to changing oil and tires can do it, and 10 being a professional mechanic), what is the difficulty level of installing fog lights?

Old 07-03-2007, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

depending on what you get...probably a 5, so long as it comes with instructions and you have some common sense and electrical background and hardware background.

keep in mind im only 19...i did a ton of stuff when i was 18...

you also have to look at it another way...
If the kit you buy comes with good instructions, and they fit fairly well into wherever u want to put them, and the wires and stuff are long enough, then its really just a matter of using the included hardware and maybe a drill to get it all settled in.

My fogs required drill, zip ties, extra wire, soldering, and some creativity...haha

damn i've edited this thread so many times...
great to see u got it fixed! and dont worry about hijacking...this is your own thread!!!! haha

Old 11-18-2007, 01:40 PM

I had the same problem but the licence lights and the tail running lights weren't working. I did change all the bulbs and checked all the fuses under compartment but couldn't fix the problem. Please help.

Old 11-30-2007, 06:52 PM

I have the same problem. Is there a relay or a control in the trunk. No one that I hve gone to can help ie. AutoZone, oak tree machanic. My car is a 1998 Toyota Camry with 250,080miles. It runs great with no major problems. This is the biggest problem I have had and I am lost. Can some one help? Thanks.

Old 12-01-2007, 12:30 AM

If all fuses are fine, and bulbs ok, it maybe a short in the wires. The only advise I've received for something like that is to physically check the wires. A good indication would be melted plastic covering the area. I've never actually had to do this, but that's one of the advices I received when trying to diagnose my tail light issue.

Sorry can't be more help.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:51 AM
Default Tail Lights Issue

I've had exactly this problem - an Australian-built 1998 Camry. Look at the Tail Lamp Relay. My relay went faulty - was not "pulling in" properly. The usual sound (I have an Avaolon to compare) is a distinct "click". In my Camry, the Tail Lamp Relay is needed to activate the tail-lamps, number plate lights, front parker lights and, strangely the instrument panel. Had to "pay the man" to get this fixed. Hope this helps.