ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

Trouble Pairing Phones On New 2018 Camry

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 04:18 PM
Default Trouble Pairing Phones On New 2018 Camry

My wife and I have identical first generation Motorola Moto G Smart Phones, and I can't get either of them to pair up with the Bluetooth in my new 2018 Camry. I was afraid this would happen. Both Bluetooth settings on both phones are "On". Per the manual I first pressed "Menu", then, "Setup". I then selected "Bluetooth", then "Add A Device". The screen then say's, "Searching For Smartphone", with that little wheel going round and round. But it never "finds" the phone. Both phones were fully charged, and I held them in very close proximity to the screen. (Just a few inches away).

You would think after a prescribed amount of time it would default to prompting you to do something else, but it doesn't. It just throws you into a hole, as it endlessly searches for the phone it never "finds". I don't know where to go from here? It doesn't work the way the manual say's it's supposed to. The manual shows a screen that allows you to select from a long list of phones. But I can't get to that screen. It also shows a, "Select Device Name", but again, no can do. I'll admit that i'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to troubleshooting electronics. I barely know enough to be dangerous.

But with that said, I was able to pair both phones to our Jeep Grand Cherokee effortlessly. The vehicle recognized both phones almost immediately, and the Bluetooth works exactly as it should. It even downloaded my directory from both phones right into the car. All the numbers automatically just showed up on the screen. I didn't have to do anything. But this new Toyota is being stubborn to say the very least. Can anyone help? I'd really appreciate it. If I have to I'll just take both phones along with the car, and drive over to the dealership and let them do it. But I thought I would check in here first.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:09 AM

SUCCESS!.... I tried it again and both phones paired up no problem. I think part of the problem was I didn't have the Bluetooth page up and visible on the phone itself when I was attempting to pair it. I checked that page to make sure the Bluetooth was "On". But you need to have the Bluetooth page itself up and visible, because the phone prompts you to accept, "Toyota Camry" on the phone itself. Then the car screen asks you if the PIN is correct. As soon as you press "Yes" it pairs instantly. Anyway I'm glad it finally worked out.

Old 03-20-2018, 05:46 AM

I should add that this new Camry also downloaded both directories from both phones automatically, just like my Grand Cherokee did. All I had to do after both phones were paired, is press the button on the steering wheel and tell it to, "Call Home".... And it did, with both phones.

What I found out after having now done this on 2 vehicles with the same 2 phones, is if you're doing everything right it will pair up in seconds. If for some reason there is difficulty, and it's taking a long time, there is something you're not doing correctly. Because with both my Jeep and this new Toyota, once everything is set up properly, they'll pair up almost instantly.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Great job!

Phone pairing with Toyota's can be problematic. No doubt this will help others having similar issues.

Thanks for the follow up!

Old 03-20-2018, 12:19 PM

For anyone with a new Camry this is what you have to do regardless if you have an Apple or an Android Smartphone:

1.) Go to the "Settings" page on your Smartphone. (Be sure the phone you are trying to pair is fully charged). Make sure your "Bluetooth" setting on your phone is "On". Leave that page up on your phone. (This is important). And always keep the phone in close proximity to the screen in the car.

2.) Start your car and have it idling in "Park".

3.) Press "Menu" on the faceplate, (Those 4 long skinny buttons just to the left of the screen).

4.) Then press "Setup" on the display screen.

5.) Then select "Bluetooth", then "Add A New Device".

6.) It will automatically search and find your phone. This will happen very quickly.

7.) Then just follow all the prompts on both the phone and display screen. It will ask you to verify the PIN#, and to accept and allow for various commands. ALWAYS hit: "Accept" and "Allow" or "Yes". If you deny anything it can and will cause problems with the pairing. It all takes under a minute, and you should be good to go. When successfully completed, it will display the device you just added on the display screen, and show the number of the device. It should also download your directory as it pairs the phone. Your Smartphone will also show "Toyota Camry" on it's screen if the pairing was successful.

If my new 2018 Camry can pair a couple of 4 year old Motorola 1st Generation phones, it should pair anything. And I checked at the Toyota website and the Motorola Moto G wasn't even listed. And yet it paired it perfectly.