Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

07 CAMRY BRAKE CALIPER FAILURE

Old 01-07-2009, 07:05 PM
Default 07 CAMRY BRAKE CALIPER FAILURE

Hello folks, I just had my inspection sticker put on my 2007 camry onMonday and it pass yippie. Itook the car to the dealership where I bought the car and service advisor after the inspection he recommend a rear brake service. My brake pads were low and barely pass the inspections that what he said. Price was around 369+Tax. I told him that I would call for appointment on the brakes.
I just realize that the car was bought brand new and now has around 46000 mile on it and the rear brake pads are worn down already. I figure that it was only the rearpads that needed to be replace so I called 3 different dealership and a couple of auto parts store for a price quote. The quote was from $69 to $24 and some were in stock. I bought the rear from Advance Auto parts for 50.00 with life time warranty and they were Wagner premium same thing as OEM stuff.
I decided to install them the next day because it was my day off and the weather is OK for me to do it. Around 40 degree in New England area. I took the left rear driver side wheels off and unbolted the caliber to inspectthe pads. I notice the outer pad was barely worn, but behold the inner pad was very worn like half of the outer pads. I thought to my self this is going to be easy to replace my pads and that's it. NOPE as it turns out while cleaning the crud off thecaliper piston, bracket and so on. Caliper piston was leaking fluid and I said to my self this better not be brake fluid........What (profanity can go wrong now. I got up and ran to stomp on the brake pedal and ranback to the rear and look at the brakecaliper and I can see the brake fluid ghussing from the caliper piston.Later about the outcome of this.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 07 CAMRY BRAKE CALIPER FAILURE

If no pads are in place the piston will pop out when you press on the brake as there is nothing to stop them from moving.

If the seal around the piston is not damaged you may be able to gently reinstall it, clean any debris off before doing so. Install the new pads then bleed this brake.

If the seal is damage get a repair kit from an autoparts store or dealer.