Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

1999 Camry xle v6 transmission shifting late

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2020, 07:53 PM
Default 1999 Camry xle v6 transmission shifting late

So my car has 262k miles and the car has never been driven rough but when I put it in drive and continue down the road it doesn’t shift into second until the car warms up to avoid this I can manually put the car in 2 and it’s shifts to second fine so when it’s time for third I’ll put back in D and continue and I can operate this way when I ran the diagnostic on the car the code p0770 came up saying shift solenoid e which no one knows specifically which of the solenoids that is I’ve done tons of research and was wondering if anyone has had this issue? I’m planning on dropping the oil pan to test my solenoids but was hoping to find someone with a similar issue on the same car to avoid any unnecessary work thanks for the help. It’s a 1999 Toyota Camry XLE v6 with the A541e trans

Old 10-17-2020, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

The code is for the solenoid that controls torque converter lockup. Shift solenoid E also called solenoid SL.

See link below:
https://www.sonnax.com/tech_resource...identification

Old 10-19-2020, 03:36 PM
Default Trans hex size

Do you happen to know the size of the hex bolt for the drain plug on the trans

Old 10-19-2020, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
The code is for the solenoid that controls torque converter lockup. Shift solenoid E also called solenoid SL.

See link below:
https://www.sonnax.com/tech_resource...identification
Do you think a faulty lockup solenoid would cause it to act this way?

Old 10-19-2020, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

You are stating when in drive, the trans will not shift out of 1st gear until the engine is hot? Then if the trans is put into 2nd, it will shift out of 1st to 2nd?

Note that if the trans is in 2nd it will not shift higher then 2nd gear.

The car should have a push button on the center console that turns the overdrive off/on. With engine warm and driving around 50 mph turn the overdrive off and determine if the RPM increases.

While the code refers to the solenoid the actual problem that caused the code can be something else. Below are the possible reasons for the code.

Shift solenoid valve SL stuck open or closed
Valve body blocked up or stuck
Lock–up clutch (located on torque converter)
Transmission problem such clutch, brake, gear etc.

Toyota's diagnosis process for this code follows the list above from top to bottom.

Might read the info in the article below:
https://www.troublecodes.net/pcodes/p0770/

Old 10-20-2020, 02:11 PM

You are stating when in drive, the trans will not shift out of 1st gear until the engine is hot? Then if the trans is put into 2nd, it will shift out of 1st to 2nd?

The car should have a push button on the center console that turns the overdrive off/on. With engine warm and driving around 50 mph turn the overdrive off and determine if the RPM increases.

While the code refers to the solenoid the actual problem that caused the code can be something else. Below are the possible reasons for the code.

Toyota's diagnosis process for this code follows the list above from top to bottom.

answer is yes to those questions I did the 55 mph test by shutting o/d off and yes the rpm went up I just drained the fluid and replaced it with new to see if this could fix it I’ve been driving around and nothing yet maybe as it settles in it might unstick the solenoid since it has new fluid

Old 10-20-2020, 06:50 PM
Default Valve body removed

so I removed the valve body and the solenoid is clicking and the ohms are at 13, but when I’m clicking the solenoid with my battery I don’t see anything opening or closing could this be the fault?

Old 10-20-2020, 06:56 PM
Default Tcm

I don’t know if this particular solenoid is supposed to open and close “lock up solenoid” but I don’t see anything moving inside when I test it could my transmission control module be bad?

Old 10-21-2020, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

Toyota has a diagnostic check for the solenoid using compressed air.

See private message for more info.

Old 10-22-2020, 08:54 PM
Default ****

I changed the lockup solenoid and nothing was fixed I tested all solenoids while valvebody was out and they were all operating properly now I’m aiming at transmission control module would this module act up this way? Other than that I don’t believe my torque converter is bad this car was driven properly it’s whole life.

Quick Reply: 1999 Camry xle v6 transmission shifting late