Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

2002 Toyota Camry XLE engine light came on

Old 02-26-2018, 10:40 PM
Exclamation 2002 Toyota Camry XLE engine light came on

Hey guys,so around 2 weeks ago my toyota's check engine light started flashing,so I had it taken to a toyota dealership to have it diagnosed,however I didn't have enough money to do a full diagnostic so I just got the sparkplugs and ignition coils changed. The problem was still the same however. Then they said that we had to replace the AF sensor to try to fix it,after replacing there was no luck so I had it swapped to the original sensor before. Afterwards,the VSC and TRAC light also came on with the check engine light. A mechanic swapped the ignition coils and spark plugs again and I still have the same problem. A smoke test was done to see if there were any vacuum leaks in the engine and there weren't any,even after doing it twice. The fuel ejectors seem to be working perfectly fine and the mass airflow sensor was just cleaned. The car's issues are: very bad fuel economy and next to no power when going up a hill or just driving regularly,slow acceleration.
The codes that were pulled from my car were : P0171,P03200,P1130 and misfires on 1,3,5.
My Camry is a 2002 6 cylinder XLE version,thank you for your help!

Old 02-27-2018, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

A blinking check engine light indicates a SEVERE misfire that can/will damage the catalytic converters. The cars driving symptoms confirms this misfire. Suggest you not drive the car further until the problem is resolved. The owners manual has a caution about this.

P0171 is fuel system too lean. Possible causes are below:

*Engine air intake leaks
*Fuel line pressure too low
*Injector blockage causing too lean of mixture
*Mass air flow sensor sending incorrect signals to computer causing too lean mixture
*Engine coolant temperature sensor Ditto
*A/F sensor (bank 1, 2 sensor 1) Ditto
*Exhaust gas pipe leak causing A/F sensors to have the incorrect reading

P1130 is a problem with the A/F sensor Bank 1, Sensor 1. The problem being either the wiring to the sensor, a bad sensor or bad engine computer.

Recheck code P03200. The code should be one letter followed by 4 numbers.

Misfire on cylinders 1, 3 and 5. Bank 1 is the cylinder bank closest to the firewall. This bank has these cylinders.

Codes P0171 and P1130 are present along with misfire on cylinders 1, 3, 5 (Bank 1).

This should normally point to a problem A/F sensor, Bank, 1 Sensor 1. This sensor is the first sensor on the exhaust system and before the catalytic converter.

Which A/F sensor was replaced and with what brand of sensor (what manufacturer made the part)?