Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

2011 manual transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2022, 10:10 PM
Default 2011 manual transmission problems

Hey guys fairly new to hear so I own a 2011 Toyota Camry it's been a very fun car to drive it's got a 4-cylinder 6-speed transmission manual in the last year I've had a whining sound come up and I was told that it was a throw out barring so I ended up replacing the clutch and throw out barring but after the work was done the whining was still there my mechanic believes that it's the transmission I really like this car and I want to keep it I'd like to make the repairs my question is is this something that's common is it something that can be rebuilt to me it sounds like a whining pump but it only is active when the clutch pedal is not engaged or when I'm driving if I press on the clutch it goes away I have driven it a little bit after having the clutch replaced the sound gut quieter but The whining has turned into a grinding any information that could help me make this repair and make the right choice would be great

Old 03-04-2022, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

The video below has a description of how the clutch works. The throw out bearing is only rotating when the clutch is pushed in. If the bearing is bad it will make noise when the clutch is pushed in and bearing rotating.

The transmission appears be a Toyota Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) on the trans for a input shaft bearing problem. The trans model may be EB62. This can be confirmed by looking at a sticker on the drivers side door which lists the trans model. Look for EB62. The TSB describes the problem and corrective action needed. There may have been an extended warranty for the repair but this would have expired due the age of the car.

The bearing can be replaced but requires removing the trans and taking it apart. The cost of the bearing is around $25 however the labor is 6-9 hrs. Suggest you have your mechanic research the service bulletin.

The repair is straight forward if one is familiar with working on transmissions.

Old 03-06-2022, 01:14 AM
Default Thank you for this I will check the code on the door tomorrow

Originally Posted by toyomoho
The video below has a description of how the clutch works. The throw out bearing is only rotating when the clutch is pushed in. If the bearing is bad it will make noise when the clutch is pushed in and bearing rotating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=devo3kdSPQY

The transmission appears be a Toyota Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) on the trans for a input shaft bearing problem. The trans model may be EB62. This can be confirmed by looking at a sticker on the drivers side door which lists the trans model. Look for EB62. The TSB describes the problem and corrective action needed. There may have been an extended warranty for the repair but this would have expired due the age of the car.

The bearing can be replaced but requires removing the trans and taking it apart. The cost of the bearing is around $25 however the labor is 6-9 hrs. Suggest you have your mechanic research the service bulletin.

The repair is straight forward if one is familiar with working on transmissions.
thanks 1,000,000 this is the best information I have been able to find so far much appreciated