Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

2012 Camry Rough shifting when starting

Old 11-23-2018, 05:21 PM
Default 2012 Camry Rough shifting when starting

I purchased a 2012 Camry 4 cyl. 1 month ago with 89000 miles. With advice from forum, immediately changed transmission fluid, Toyota WS. Fluid was pretty dark but no particles found.

When starting from a stop, when the car is shifting from 1st to 2nd at times there is a hesitation and then the car shifts roughly. All other operation is fine.

I discovered that if I barely touch the gas pedal when starting and leave it like that for a moment it shifts smoothly into 2nd and then continues to accelerate and shift normally. I can then press the pedal for faster acceleration if needed or let it speed up more slowly -- all shifts beyond that initial point are fine. I am trying to always start slowly so the problem will not happen but it still occurs if I forget.

I'm still of course wondering if this is normal or what is wrong.
I'm back from a 2200 mile trip and My mechanic suggested I change the transmission fluid again after coming back.

Thank you for your help,
Don

Old 11-23-2018, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

If only the trans pan fluid was changed, then 2/3 of the old fluid still remains in the trans.

Hesitation as in throttle is applied but the car does not move?

Old 11-24-2018, 02:10 PM

Thank you for your reply.

My mechanic installed a new pan gasket and replaced 4.5 quarts. You state 2/3 remains in the transmission. Does that mean the total amount in the trans. is 13.5 quarts? Just curious.
Sounds like mechanic's suggestion of changing the transmission fluid again might be a good idea? Had an Accord before this and the recommended total refill procedure for that was 3 drain and refills driving like 10 miles in between,

Car always does move immediately when throttle is applied. Then If I forget and press too hard on the pedal, when it is shifting from 1st to 2nd, this is when this hesitation and then rough shifting happens.

Old 11-24-2018, 11:32 PM
Super Moderator

6.9 quarts total for this trans.

Did the mechanic change the filter?

This year trans can have delayed shift issues. If fluid changes don't do anything the issue could be internal and not a minor fix.

Old 11-27-2018, 03:13 PM

Thanks again for your help.
I'll change the filter with the next fluid change and see what happens and report back.