Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

2012 Camry Rough shifting when starting

Old 11-23-2018, 05:21 PM
Default 2012 Camry Rough shifting when starting

I purchased a 2012 Camry 4 cyl. 1 month ago with 89000 miles. With advice from forum, immediately changed transmission fluid, Toyota WS. Fluid was pretty dark but no particles found.

When starting from a stop, when the car is shifting from 1st to 2nd at times there is a hesitation and then the car shifts roughly. All other operation is fine.

I discovered that if I barely touch the gas pedal when starting and leave it like that for a moment it shifts smoothly into 2nd and then continues to accelerate and shift normally. I can then press the pedal for faster acceleration if needed or let it speed up more slowly -- all shifts beyond that initial point are fine. I am trying to always start slowly so the problem will not happen but it still occurs if I forget.

I'm still of course wondering if this is normal or what is wrong.
I'm back from a 2200 mile trip and My mechanic suggested I change the transmission fluid again after coming back.

Thank you for your help,
Don

Old 11-23-2018, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

If only the trans pan fluid was changed, then 2/3 of the old fluid still remains in the trans.

Hesitation as in throttle is applied but the car does not move?

Old 11-24-2018, 02:10 PM

Thank you for your reply.

My mechanic installed a new pan gasket and replaced 4.5 quarts. You state 2/3 remains in the transmission. Does that mean the total amount in the trans. is 13.5 quarts? Just curious.
Sounds like mechanic's suggestion of changing the transmission fluid again might be a good idea? Had an Accord before this and the recommended total refill procedure for that was 3 drain and refills driving like 10 miles in between,

Car always does move immediately when throttle is applied. Then If I forget and press too hard on the pedal, when it is shifting from 1st to 2nd, this is when this hesitation and then rough shifting happens.

Old 11-24-2018, 11:32 PM
Super Moderator

6.9 quarts total for this trans.

Did the mechanic change the filter?

This year trans can have delayed shift issues. If fluid changes don't do anything the issue could be internal and not a minor fix.

Old 11-27-2018, 03:13 PM

Thanks again for your help.
I'll change the filter with the next fluid change and see what happens and report back.

Old 12-29-2019, 11:24 PM

Hi, I just purchased a 2011 Camry SE 2.5 with 77k miles and I thought I was going crazy as I have the same problem. Did the 2nd transmission fluid make a difference?

Old 01-17-2021, 09:17 AM
Default 2012 Toyota Camry LE Transmission (U760E) Shudder

I am sorry to say that like me you lost in the Toyota Shell Game. My loss is about to cost me $4000 to get the transmission rebuilt at a local transmission shop. I see your post was in 2018 which at that time you could have had Toyota replace the torque convert for free (if you could get them to actually do it). I searched online and searched and only recently found out what I should have done years ago. I even took my car to the dealer. I am posting this now everywhere I can online in hopes to help a few people save some money and push off the rebuild on this transmission for a few years. Please reply back as to what happened to this car. Did you have to get the transmission rebuilt. Is it still having the shudder. Please update mileage and status of issue it will help others. If search under my postings mdgreg101 you should find where I have posted to others what they can do if the car is under 8 years old and has less than 150K miles. If you want to hear my whole story read all my post.

Old 01-17-2021, 09:30 AM

From my research the 2011 Camry SE 2.5 4 cylinder has the U760E transmission. Toyota did Warranty Enhancement Notification ZE5 in November 2014 for 2012 - 2014 Toyota Camry's with the U760E. I am not sure why they did not do it for the 2010 and 2011 transmissions other than they did not yet know or want to try to remedy the problem. I personally think they are trying to get away with putting faulty transmission on millions of vehicles and then after realizing it trying to get away with it by issuing WEN ZE5 at the same time as issuing LSC E03. I think that they will just plead dumb on the 2010 and 2011 Toyota's that have this transmission and then play the shell game and not fix it on 2012, 2013, and 2014 vehicles. I have no idea why they kept using this transmission all the way to 2019.

Unfortunately you got caught like I did and probably already had to have this transmission rebuilt ($4000). Please reply back to the current status of your Camry. Update the issue and post current mileage. Please also post date and times of repairs. If you go to my post you should be able to find my whole story as to what happened to me. I am posting it under 2012 Toyota U760E Transmission Shudder ALL TOYOTA OWNERS READ.

Old 01-22-2024, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Don2123
I purchased a 2012 Camry 4 cyl. 1 month ago with 89000 miles. With advice from forum, immediately changed transmission fluid, Toyota WS. Fluid was pretty dark but no particles found.

When starting from a stop, when the car is shifting from 1st to 2nd at times there is a hesitation and then the car shifts roughly. All other operation is fine.

I discovered that if I barely touch the gas pedal when starting and leave it like that for a moment it shifts smoothly into 2nd and then continues to accelerate and shift normally. I can then press the pedal for faster acceleration if needed or let it speed up more slowly -- all shifts beyond that initial point are fine. I am trying to always start slowly so the problem will not happen but it still occurs if I forget.

I'm still of course wondering if this is normal or what is wrong.
I'm back from a 2200 mile trip and My mechanic suggested I change the transmission fluid again after coming back.

Thank you for your help,
Don
I was told the 2012 Camry does not need any transmission fluid changes ever, that the system is sealed.

Old 01-22-2024, 01:21 PM
Default Camry transmission

I was told by the Toyota dealer that the 2012 Toyota Camry that I have has a sealed transmission and will never need the fluid changed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2012 Camry Rough shifting when starting