Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

2012 Toyota Camry LE U760E Transmission Shudder ALL TOYOTA OWNERS READ

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2021, 09:07 AM
Default 2012 Toyota Camry LE U760E Transmission Shudder ALL TOYOTA OWNERS READ

2012 Toyota U760E Transmission Shudder ALL TOYOTA OWNERS READ

CAR: 2012 Toyota Camry LE, 2.5-liter four-cylinder gasoline engine, U760E SIX-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION.

MILEAGE: 95,850 (you are seeing this correct a one owner Toyota Camry with less than 100K miles that needs a new transmission)

PROBLEM: 2012 Toyota Camry Transmission Shudder (diagnosed at Principle Toyota by the dealers service department)(they also ran a glycol test which was negative).

SOLUTIONS: Torque Converter Replacement at Toyota Service Department $2310.25 includes tax (warranty 1yr 12K miles).

Transmission Replacement (remanufactured) at Toyota Service Department $7116.09 includes tax (warranty 1yr 12K miles).

Rebuild existing Transmission at local transmission shop $3800 (only called on phone and got approximate estimate) includes tax (warranty 2yr 24K miles).

Hindsight 20/20: If you have a 2012 - 2014 Toyota Camry you will not be able to tell that your car has an issue unless you are a mechanic yourself and if you are you may still not realize it as the shudder is very slight. I am just realizing that my car had this issue when I bought it new. I took it to the dealer at 25K and they only did the software update and did not replace the torque converter. If you have one of these cars that is less than 8 years old and with less than 150K call the dealer ASAP and force them to replace the torque converter as it is under warranty (no matter what the dealer tells you). If your Camry is older than 8 years or has more than 150K miles go to the dealer ASAP and get them to change the transmission fluid and filter (no matter what the dealer tells you). Unfortunately, the service manual for this car says that the transmission has a lifetime fluid and there is no service intervals for changing the fluid and filter on this transmission. You will have to take this into your own hands and start getting the fluid and filter changed on the transmission every 30K miles (no matter what the dealer tells you). Save all of your service receipts on this vehicle and never throw them away even if you no longer own this car. Keep a copy of the title if you sale the car. Start a file and make detailed notes of your experience with this vehicle and put all documents related to this vehicle in the file and never throw them away (I believe that this issue will become a class action lawsuit). You should also start to save $4000 to get the transmission rebuild as there is nothing that will help this transmission in the long-term (keep your receipts and put them in your file).

I hope that you will leave this posted on your web-site as is because, I believe that the transmission issue that I am having with my 2012 Toyota Camry is larger than just the 795K 2012 - 2014 Camry's that Toyota is saying it effects and that it is a not an issue but a bad design that is affecting approximately 15 million Toyota's that are on the road today with the U760E, U760F, U660E, and U660F.

If you look on-line for Toyota Camry transmission shudder you will find this issue everywhere. You can also search U760E and find all makes and models with this transmission and put in the make and model along with transmission problem and will see this come up on all vehicles with this transmission. I think if you do some research online and check the Toyota forums you will find this popping up on all of the Toyota's with these transmissions from 2010 to 2019. My hope that posting this will help to save just one person some money on the Shell Game Toyota is running on their customers.

Reason for the shell game at Toyota: 795,000 Camry's effected per LSC E03

Replace all 795,000 torque converters = $1,836,648,750.00 (billion)

Replace all transmissions with a remanufactured transmission = $5,657,291,550.00 (billion)

Below in bold is the exact letter that I emailed to the service director at the dealership and to Toyota corporate:

Toyota new spin on an old favorite, "The Shell Game"!

I was curious last night what transmission my Toyota Camry has on it. From my few hours research online last night I found it was the U760E. I attached some rough numbers I looked up on Wikipedia last night on the potential total vehicles that could have this U760E. This seems to be more than likely the most common transmission on all of the Toyotas that were 4 cylinders. However, I will concede that some do have the U760F, U660E, and U660F. However, from my limited research I believe that all four of these transmissions are somewhat similar and share many of the same attributes. I did not pull the numbers on potential cars that have the U760F, U660E, and U660F as it would have just added to the already surprising number of vehicles this transmission shudder probably actually effects. The Toyota on-line forums are filled with this transmission shudder issue on all the Toyota's year and model that are on this spread sheet. I now understand why I got the shell game ran on me in 2015 and how it was done.

Shell Game

Toyota admits there is a problem with the transmission by issuing in October 2014 Limited Service Campaign E03 to only update the software. Then the next month in November 2014 start mailing letters to the customer saying we have just issued Warranty Enhancement Notification - ZE5 to do three things, put in a new torque converter, additional transmission pan magnets, and update the software. This puts both LSC E03 and WEN ZE5 in play at the same time for the same transmission issue. I received my letter for WEN ZE5 in the mail. I call and set up an appointment for WEN ZE5 and in good faith walk into my local Toyota service department Principal Toyota Memphis, TN in March of 2015 with my WEN ZE5 letter in my hand and say I am here to get WEN ZE5 taken care of. In good faith I pick up my car thinking that WEN ZE5 has been taken care of. However, it turns out that what was done was LSC E03 and not WEN ZE5.

You should probably hurry up and reach your verdict as in only a few days of research online and a few hours spent calculating numbers on the attached Excel Spreadsheet I am starting to uncover something that seems to have been going on for some time and is still going on today as there are plenty of cars still on the road with U760E that are covered under WEN ZE5 and are currently still getting the Shell Game ran on them.

What I am starting to find out as I call other transmission repair shops today and start to do more research is that with the transmission shudder issue that occurs in the U760E replacing the torque converter is only a patch and not a proper repair. The proper repair should be rebuilt or replaced the transmission on all vehicles with U760E that experience this issue as well as on my 2012 Toyota Camry.

I am sure if I research more it will be the same with the other transmissions in this series U760F, U660E, and U660F.

I am going to post this on all Toyota/vehicle forums that I can find to help get the word out. My plan is to spend the $4000 and get the transmission rebuilt this week or next (then file in small claims court to try to recover this expense). This is my wives garage kept car that she needs to go to her job as a nurse. Right now, I am driving her to work in my more reliable 2003 Chevy Trailblazer with 165K miles on it that I bought new in 2003. It has never had to have the transmission or engine replaced.

Regards,

Live Free or buy a New Toyota