Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

3s-gte in 99" camry?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 09:02 PM
Default 3s-gte in 99" camry?

Hey I'm kinda new to this forum but I'm not a newbie when it comes to Camrys. I have a 99" which I resently blew the engine. It had over 175k miles, 5s-fe, auto. I'm thinking about getting a 3s-gte and trying that swap. I did a search and didn't come up with anything so I'm wondering has anyone ever done this swap or will I be the first to dive into it? By the way if any of you are wondering I'm only 17 (bday coming up soon) and I'm looking to do this with a couple of friends who have experience with an srt-4 (500whp, 550 ft. lbs. tq) and a 93" mr-2 (approx. 300whp, tq. unknown) so it's not likeI'm trying to just take a plunge into something 50 ft. over my head.Thanks everyone that can help!!!!

Old 03-25-2007, 03:53 PM
Default RE: 3s-gte in 99" camry?

i have never done the swap..but i did help a friend install a supra motor in a toyo 4x4 truck.. and let me tell you..that is the last engine swap i will do...yours should be a little easier since its small engine....but did you concider rebuilding your motor or putting then same motor and installing a turbo maybe...seem like an easier task to me and the cost should be lower.

Old 03-25-2007, 04:47 PM

I actually just got done rebuilding this engine (well not mine but its one out of a 97" Camry) at school and the parts (new crank and bearings) with the school's labor charge is over $1000. This may include a few extra things that I haven't paid attention to. I need a whole new bottom end, rods, pistons, bearings, and an oil pan. Add a turbo kit to that and it's easily more than me just getting an 3s-gte. Not to mention tuning and probably ending up at the starting point as the 3s-gte. The swap seems more cost efficient if you ask me.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:48 PM

i was thinking the labor would be free since you were doing it yourself...but if you were to makea 3sfit in your camry like we did with my friends truck...it would be one of a kind.....a conversation piece

.good luck

Old 03-26-2007, 01:23 AM

I'm getting a lot of feedback from the mr2 forums and this has been done before. With this gen? I still don't know. So now I have a lead on what I may be getting myself into. Thanx Toyoboy. I was actually adding up parts, not the labor.