Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

89' Toyota Camry fuel pump/electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 07:20 AM
Exclamation 89' Toyota Camry fuel pump/electrical issues

Hello from Australia!

I own a 1989 Toyota Camry (rebadged as a Holden Apollo), it ran fine and was a good car for a few months until I drove it 'on empty'. After refilling the car with fuel, it turned over the first time before the fuel pump cut out and it didn't start again. I replaced the fuel filter, thinking it might have become clogged with 20-year old sludge and debris from the bottom of the tank. But it still wouldn't start.

I then replaced the fuel pump and it ran for a few seconds before the fuel pump cut out, and it stopped turning over again.

It has the 3S-F (carburettor) 2.0 litre, a reasonably uncommon engine, as I understand.

After I leave the car for a while, it turns over and starts fine, before the fuel pump cuts out after about 10 seconds, and it takes another day or so to start again. This leads me to believe it might be an electric issue as apposed to a mechanical issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I want my Camry running again.

Thank-you in advance

Old 01-21-2011, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

Are you sure you did not receive bad gas, gas with a lot of water, etc?

Can you access the float bowl to drain it, etc? There may debris clogging up the jets.

Determine if there is a small plastic box inside the engine compartment labeled "Diagnostic." If so inside the box are electrical terminals. Use a section of wire or a bent paper clip to connect the B+ and FP terminals. This will bypass any fuel pump relays and allow the pump to run when the ign key is on.

If not box try applying 12V power directly at the pump wiring. Make sure you connect the pump wires, not the fuel tank sender wires.

After doing the above, determine if the engine will now run.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:17 AM

Thank-you toyomoho!

It's a carburettor, so there isn't any jets to clean but I followed your other advice, and ran the fuel pump off an external power source, and it pumped fine. But for some reason, the engine start - I think it was flooded.

I found the 'diagnosis' box in the engine bay and connected B+ and FP terminals but nothing happened. Car turned over, but wouldn't start.

When I replaced the fuel pump a while back, I wasn't able to get exactly the right fuel pump, so instead, I got one for the fuel injected version of the same engine (the 3S-FE). Could this be a problem?

Also, I've found many relays in both the passenger footwell and the driver's footwell but I am unable to determine which one is the fuel pump relay. Do you have any idea about this?

Thank-you

Old 01-23-2011, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

Did the engine ever run when the new pump was installed.

A carb would have some kind of fuel metering system, typically these are jets.

The fuel injected pump may have a much higher fuel pressure (around 50 psi). This could be too much for a carb that typically runs below 10 psi.

Have you checked out the carb, does it have floats/needle valves and if so are these sticking open?

Have you tried asking at the club below for Australia Toyota owners Unfortunately the US never had a carb equipped Camry, thus info and experience is limited.

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forum...hp?showforum=8

Old 01-24-2011, 02:56 AM

Again, thank-you, some very good advice

The engine ran very briefly with the new fuel pump, but then it just stops. I think you're right, and it's pumping too much fuel which just floods the engine.

The reason I replaced the original fuel pump was because it stopped pumping. I presumed it was broken but when I connected it to an external power supply, it worked fine. As good as new.

Shall check the condition of the carburettor itself as well.