Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

99 5SFE Cali into 99 Fed Car

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 10:46 AM
Default 99 5SFE Cali into 99 Fed Car

Ok guys I was wondering how bad of a situation I'm in or am I just over exaggerating.

Recently I bought a 99 Camry with a blown 5SFE for $600! I spent some time looking for an engine and then I decided to just buy a whole car. I found a wrecked 99 Camry 5SFE out of New York with only 22k miles on it!!! I bought the car and pulled the engine and trans and swapped them into my Camry. After the swap I called the dealership to order some parts for my engine and I gave them the VIN off the donor car with 22k miles. They told me the car had a California Emissions Engine, and my original car was Federal. Now the engine ran perfectly fine in the donor car because I made sure to start it and test it before pulling it for my car. I pulled the engine with engine harness and swapped the Cali ECU into my car. For some reason tho the car is still not running right. It has no CE Lights, and revs fine, but for some reason its idle is messed up and after revving it a few times it wants to bog down and I have to feather the throttle to keep it alive.

As of right now the car is sitting with the 22k miles 5SFE Cali Emis engine swapped into it, with the ECU and wiring harness out of the donor car. What else could I need out of the donor car to make mine run properly? Is it possible or am I screwed and new to start looking for a federal engine? I don't mind messing with it more I just don't really know where to go from here.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks guys!

Old 10-06-2011, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

There should be a sticker under the hood of each car stating if the car meets Federal or California emissions standards.

Did you swap the O2-A/F sensors which may be different?

The exhaust/emission converter systems may not be the same, the California may have a second converter.

Did every connector/wire of the California emissions harness hook up to something, no additional connectors on the harness? Or connectors on chassis mounted parts not finding a spot on the new harness?

The California car typically has a different head design, injectors, emissions converter system, 02-A/F sensors, computer. There may also be something called air assist ports on the California car, location on the head and under the chassis exhaust system.

Suggest look carefully at each car, including underneath and note any differences.

The rockauto.com or any other parts website should list any differences between California and Federal parts for each specific part inquiry.