Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

auto to manual conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 07:13 PM
Default auto to manual conversion

Alright, let's be honest, no one likes to drive an automatic...at least that's my opinion. I love my car, but I want it to be manual? Has anyone on here converted their 4 spd automatic into a 5 spd manual taken from another camry? If so, was it complicated to do yourself, and how much did it cost you...Thanks
Derek

Old 02-14-2008, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: auto to manual conversion

Camry owners have successfully converted their autos to manual. If a manual trans was an option for the car it would be a bolt on operation.

One issue is gettting all the parts together at a reasonable price. The engine would need a differant flywheel, plus clutch, shift assy, etc, all these parts add up. The cheapest route is to find a parts car and just swap out what you need.

The computer is also differant between types of trans. It is possible to use solenoid simulators to replace the shift solenoids and thus not trip trouble codes.

Suggest a Google search for other Toyota sites, have seen posts with listing for all the parts that were required.

Depending on your cars year and mileage it might be cheaper to just buy a car with a manual. This unless you can get all the parts at reasonable prices.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:42 PM
Default RE: auto to manual conversion

meh...I'm sort of looking to spend a good deal of my summer working on this as I can't really get rid of my car and want a manual...thanks