Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

A/C Compressor Question

Old 08-08-2006, 10:30 PM
Default A/C Compressor Question

Hey, all
My girlfriend recently aquired a '90 Camry 4-cyl, and it's in absolute mint condition except for a leaky A/C compressor. I traded in the broken one at a Junkyard today, but upon further inspection, the new compressor is slightly different. I looked up the part number, and it's from a V6 Camry. I have some questions about whether or not I can use this one or if I should go looking for another one.

First, it's got a Solenoid looking doohickey on the end:
Name:  camry006.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  49.9 KB

where the original compressor didn't have one. The junkyard owner was adamant that this didn't do anything and I could just hook up the rest of the compressor.

Also, the electrical connections are different:

Name:  camry001.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  92.7 KB

I know that the connector on the left turns the pulley clutch on and off, but I'm unsure what the one on the right does. It has two wires going into it.

Here is the compressor connectors:

Name:  camry010.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  46.6 KB

I know that the single black wire coming out is the clutch controller, but I'm hoping that the two other wires correspond to the two wires in on the car. The solenoid doohickey on the end of the compressor also has two wires coming out of it, are these related to the other wires?

Anyway, I really appreciate your help on this, as it's pretty miserable here in El Paso with no air in the middle of summer!

Cheers,
Mike

Old 08-08-2006, 11:21 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: A/C Compressor Question

i dont know too much about this kinda stuff but will this new compressor direclty bolt on with no problems? i actually think that it shoudl probably work as i dont see why toyota would make two different compressors for the a/c when both do the same job either on the v6 or i4.
good luck!

Old 08-09-2006, 01:43 AM
Default RE: A/C Compressor Question

at least you had rain in el paso!! it's as dry as stale bread here