Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

A.C Not working after a hiatus! Why?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 04:12 PM
Default A.C Not working after a hiatus! Why?

Today it is so hot that i thought of switching on the A.C to cool the cabin.

Started the fan and switched on the A.C. Waited sometime and nothing. No cooling at all.

Previously, before the winters set in, the A.C was working fine. But today, nothing. It was just throwing regular air from fan.

What could be wrong? Any suggestions on what should i check before going to a mechanic? I checked coolant, its half way between low and high.

The compressor that should start and make noise when A.C is switched on is not happening. The A.C light is also not coming on.

Please advise what to do. I am worried something big has gone wrong.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator

Is the green light on the AC switch blinking? Does the light come on for a time then go out?

What coolant level did you check?

It could be over the years enough Freon leaked out of the AC system to turn off the compressor. Low Freon levels will damage the compressor. Some slight leakage over time is normal.

A shop that services AC's can attach a gauge to check system pressure and determine if the Freon is low.

If your short on money and somewhat mechanically minded you can take a chance on the problem being low Freon. Buy a can of Freon and a simple gauge/valve that attaches to the can at an autoparts or department store. By following the directions with the gauge you can check the pressure yourself and add more Freon is required.

Perhaps YouTube has a video on topping off the AC Freon. Make sure you follow the directions. Adding too much Freon will not make the system cool better but can damage the compressor.

It is a good idea to run the AC system 15 minutes a week to lube the seals.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Is the green light on the AC switch blinking? Does the light come on for a time then go out?

What coolant level did you check?

It could be over the years enough Freon leaked out of the AC system to turn off the compressor. Low Freon levels will damage the compressor. Some slight leakage over time is normal.

A shop that services AC's can attach a gauge to check system pressure and determine if the Freon is low.

If your short on money and somewhat mechanically minded you can take a chance on the problem being low Freon. Buy a can of Freon and a simple gauge/valve that attaches to the can at an autoparts or department store. By following the directions with the gauge you can check the pressure yourself and add more Freon is required.

Perhaps YouTube has a video on topping off the AC Freon. Make sure you follow the directions. Adding too much Freon will not make the system cool better but can damage the compressor.

It is a good idea to run the AC system 15 minutes a week to lube the seals.
the green light doesn't come on at all. i checked the regular coolant which is connected to radiator at front.

I will get it checked at some shop i guess. I don't think i can do it on my own. Apart from Freon leak any other thing that could have caused it?

I have to get the timing belt and water pump changed as its long overdue, could it be because of that or the thermostat?

sorry for late reply

Old 02-07-2012, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

The AC system is self contained and isolated from other cars systems. Incoming air from outside the car is directed by a small door across the cooling fins of the AC evaporator which cools the air. If the compressor is not working the air will not be cooled.

The radiator cools the engine coolant, the water pump circulates the coolant, the thermostat regulates coolant temp, the small plastic tank contains any overflow of coolant from the radiator. None of these items are connected to the AC system and would not affect its operation.

If the system worked OK before winter and the light is off guessing low Freon.

Sometimes the compressor fails internally and needs to be replaced.

A mechanic who services AC systems can easily install pressure gauges and looking at the pressures quickly tell what the problem is.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
If the system worked OK before winter and the light is off guessing low Freon.

Sometimes the compressor fails internally and needs to be replaced.

A mechanic who services AC systems can easily install pressure gauges and looking at the pressures quickly tell what the problem is.
Thanks for the info.

Looks like i will have to take it to a mechanic.