Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

CAMRY 96

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 05:22 PM
Default CAMRY 96

HI I DRIVE A 1996 CAMRY 2.2L 5SFE AND I WANT TO KNOW THE BEST WAY TO GOT MORE HORSES UNDER MY HOOD

Old 12-15-2008, 05:40 PM
Default RE: CAMRY 96

What is your budget? There isnt a whole lot that you can do with a 5sfe engine, but I would start with intake and exhaust. Do you want to remain smog legal? (or perhaps keep the stock parts to replace before smog testing). You can get a short ram intake or a cold air intake, a cat-less exhaust system (I think Greddy makes one for your car) and 4-1 stainless steel or ceramic coated headers. BBK also makes a 4 barrell throttle body that you can add and you might want to upgrade your fuel injectors and regulators. Upgades to your ignition system can also be beneficial (like better plugs and wires). Also you can get your stock ECU performance tuned (for like $500) or use something like a Volo soft ECU flasher. If you are lucky enough to find a turbo manifold for your engine (I think you can use a 3S-GTE turbo manifold), you can turbo charge it (we are talking $$$$$). Just do the research and find out what your best options are plus the pro's and con's. Chances are you can drop several thousand dollars into your engine andonly produce an extra 30 whp (unless you go with forced induction like turbo charging and nitrous injection). Good luck!

Old 12-16-2008, 10:11 PM
Default RE: CAMRY 96

Sadly, that last part is correct, You wont see too much power out of the low-end mods in a motor like ours. i run the 5sfe in my 94le, and I've done some research on the topic. Even if you go with a K&N setup, you wont see much more than 5 hp if that. You have to do a great deal before you start feeling a considerable power difference. Im not sayin bail, cuz I sure as hell havent yet... Just remember its no Evo or Mustang. I hope it works out for you