Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Check engine light still on despite repairs

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 01:39 PM
Smile Check engine light still on despite repairs

I am practically living in my mechanics garage with my 97 Toyota Camry and despite everything he does, the check engine light will not go off. He says his computer that tells him why the light is keeps indicating that it is the EGR. He has replaced it, light still went on. He cleaned a tube that is involved with it, and various valves but the light still goes on. My Toyota continues to "say" it's the EGR. I've been with this mechanic for a long time and believe he is competent. He mentioned that it is possible my car's computer may have to be reprogrammed. Anyone know anything about this - is it an expensive thing to do? Obviously I would have to take it to the dealer for this. Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:40 PM

Let me guess? You have an EGR insufficient flow code? If the EGR valve stalls the engine when vacuum is applied manually, the EGR itself is fine. Ask him to check for vacuum coming out of the modulator while revving the engine. If its present- the modulator and associate vacuum lines are fine. Ask him to check for vacuum at the EGR valve itself while revving the engine. If YES- the problem is with the EGR VSV located on the backside of the block just above the passenger side axle. This is commonly misdiagnosed.

JJ

Old 07-21-2009, 10:13 AM

JJ-Thank you for your suggestions! I read it to my mechanic and he is going to replace the VSV. He had done all the previous things that you mentioned. Appreciate your help!!!

Old 07-23-2009, 11:05 PM

Good deal. The EGR VSV is supposed to block vacuum to the EGR except under certain running conditions. There should be NO vacuum to the EGR when revving at idle as the VSV should be blocking it. Your failed VSV is stuck open allowing vacuum to pass at all times.

JJ