Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Consumer reports downgrades 07 4 cyl

Old 03-26-2007, 11:18 PM
Default Consumer reports downgrades 07 4 cyl

In their reliabillity ratings they downgrade the 07 4 cyl- after giving all the other years outstanding.
it is downgraded in the minor engine category- is there something on the engine thats giving trouble this year?

Old 03-27-2007, 10:27 AM
Default RE: Consumer reports downgrades 07 4 cyl

That's not the best news...I have 5700 miles on my 07 4cyl camry and it runs great. If anyone out there knows of something I should be looking out for I would appreciate the info!

Old 03-27-2007, 09:21 PM

I do not know what the minor means its a somewhat new category for them.
Maybe something like water pump

Old 06-24-2007, 09:38 PM

I have an 07 4 cylinder Camry LE.. I bought it from the dealership at the end of December. As of today, I have just over 5000 miles on it.
About a month or so ago, I started to notice some really sluggish behavior when accellerating from a standstill. It proved quite annoying, and bordered on dangerous when trying to turn onto the highway leaving my residential neighborhood.
I did some research and found that there was a TSB that described that exact symptom. I printed out the TSB and dropped the car off at the dealership I purchased it from.
They called me later that day and informed me that the solution was to use Chevron gas.
The exact verbage on the service ticket was:
Test drove vehicle. Did exhibit normal drive by wire condition - scan tool data did reveal a neg. ignition advance that may be fuel related. Would advise cust to try another brand of fuel -- (Chevron has fixed this particular concern on other vehicles with similar cust complaints and scan tool data).

For the entire history of this vehicle, I've put nothing but good gas in the tank. I normally use Exxon, and about every 3rd tank or so, I'll put supreme in it.

It sounds to me like the dealership gave me a BS cause for a problem that they don't truly know how to fix. If I would have known that I needed to run nothing but Chevron gas thru the engine to keep it happy, then I certainly wouldn't have bought the Camry.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:14 AM

my 02 w/a 2.4L has never acted up before. Don't listen too much on CR, they're good yes but still nonetheless- they only drove 1 car.

Old 06-27-2007, 03:53 AM

I believe there's a TSB addressing the sluggish throttle response with a PCM reflash. Don't remember the cut off of the affected vehicles, but it does involve the 07 Camry. If you feel you have a problem and want to check for any updated reflashes- take it to the dealer and have them run a health check with the new Techstream scan tool. It will automatically tell you if there are updated reflashes available.

J

Old 06-27-2007, 09:48 PM

I forgot to mention, that in the service ticket, they also said: "Health check through diagnostic tester for most updated ECU program not needed".
Somewhat difficult to decipher, but my best guess is that they were trying to tell me that there was no need to check for the latest ECU updates.
Am I decoding their message wrong? Should I try bringing it to a different dealer and just telling them to put it through the Techstream scanner?