Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

CV joint ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2024, 10:05 AM
Default CV joint ?

Hey all,

I have an 05 Camry LE (V6). I just found a bad inner CV joint boot on the passenger side. Does anyone know if I can replace just the CV joint or will this be the whole axle routine? Also, for anyone who's been there, done that, did you go after market or OEM on your parts. If aftermarket which brand did you use?

Thanks.....Just doing my homework and I appreciate any advice offered.

SC

Last edited by Santacarl; 05-04-2024 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-04-2024, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

Toyota seems to still offer the right inner joint.

https://parts.olathetoyota.com/v-200...ted-components

Might get by with just replacing the boot and repacking the joint with grease.

If going a complete axle and aftermarket part try to find a new axle as the rebuilt ones can be of poor quality!

https://www.cardone.com/search.php?s...&sort=alphaasc

Old 05-04-2024, 03:07 PM

Thanks Toyomoho....

I've been checking with the local dealer service people. They advise (of course) replacement of the ENTIRE axle. He said their experience with replacing boots is usually a temporary fix that won't last.... As to aftermarket I've never been a Cardone fan..... Hit and miss in my experience. When dealing with a rotating assembly I'm thinking OEM might be the best way to go despite the highway robbery price!

Old 05-04-2024, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

Much depends.

Will you DIY or hire someone as in total cost?

How much money do you want to spend?

How many miles will the car be driven?

How many miles on the current axle?

A split boot allows the grease to get out and debris to get in leading to failure. If an outer joint would state to replace for these reasons. The inner joint is a different design and better protected from the environment.

My experience is rebuilt axles can have problems or can be junk out of the box = avoid. New aftermarket axles are much better.

Toyota parts are No 1 but you pay for it. Make sure the Toyota part is new as read somewhere they are selling rebuilt units for some years.

Old 05-05-2024, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Much depends.

Will you DIY or hire someone as in total cost? Someone else...I don't have the tools.

How much money do you want to spend? Been a good car....this the first major part failure.. I've only had to replace the timing belt a couple of times so I'm thinking this repair, even though expensive, is far cheaper than a new car.

How many miles will the car be driven? It's a daily driver but for short distances mostly. Less than 10K per year.

How many miles on the current axle? 160K

A split boot allows the grease to get out and debris to get in leading to failure. If an outer joint would state to replace for these reasons. The inner joint is a different design and better protected from the environment. Yeah but the inner boot is torn...the chance of dirt/debris damage leads me to replace the joint and/or axle. Since I'm spending money on the labor no need to risk having to do so again in case the joint is compromised by dirt/debris...and there's no way to tell that.

My experience is rebuilt axles can have problems or can be junk out of the box = avoid. New aftermarket axles are much better. Totally agree. I was basically fishing to see what I could get away with....but after contemplation I'll just go all in and make sure it's done right.

Toyota parts are No 1 but you pay for it. Make sure the Toyota part is new as read somewhere they are selling rebuilt units for some years. WOW....thanks for the heads up. I would have assumed that all parts from a dealer would be NEW!
I hate it when a car gets some age on it and the OEM discontinues making replacement parts....It makes it hard to keep an 'oldster' running.

Old 05-05-2024, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

Update. Toyota may have stopped selling rebuilt units, who knows.

If your paying someone to replace the axle and plan on keeping the car then as you state get a good part. If going Toyota brand make sure they still offer the part as some have been discontinued. They list parts numbers separately for Japan and US built cars. One can put the cars VIN number into an online Toyota dealers website to find parts.

Toyota doesn't make their axles but buys them, maybe GSP for non trucks but who knows.

Old 05-05-2024, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Update. Toyota may have stopped selling rebuilt units, who knows.

If your paying someone to replace the axle and plan on keeping the car then as you state get a good part. If going Toyota brand make sure they still offer the part as some have been discontinued. They list parts numbers separately for Japan and US built cars. One can put the cars VIN number into an online Toyota dealers website to find parts.

Toyota doesn't make their axles but buys them, maybe GSP for non trucks but who knows.
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, this is a US built 'buggy' and the still make the parts it's just that only 1 side is currently available. I thought I might just go ahead and replace the other side too since it's the same age and likely the boot is in similar condition. They said the supplier was about to start up the production line in the next month or so. I guess I'll wait and get that side later. At least it will spread out the payment pain over time. I even went to my old standby for my GM cars, Detroit Axle, who does make a good rebuilt unit that I've had luck with but they didn't have the side I needed.