Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Difference in Japanese and USA engines

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2023, 10:57 AM
Default Difference in Japanese and USA engines

I have a 2007 Camera that has a 2.4L 2AZFE engine and was wondering if the engines have any major difference when made in Japan versus in the USA. A company selling Japanese engines says the intake manifold would have to be swapped but that is it. Is there anything else tha will have to be done?

Old 02-06-2023, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

Might ask at Toyotanation.com as more members who might have actual experience.

The US and Japan have different emissions requirements and engines as such have slight differences. Differences can be compression ratio no EGR, different sensors. People who go this route keep the old engine and compare items then swap as required. The engine was used in other Toyota models thus wonder about the intake manifold change requirement as in is it from a Camry.

If your doing an engine change read up on this engines issues with oil consumption and pulled out head bolt block threads.

Old 02-06-2023, 03:00 PM

I'll ask over at toyotanation.com I am actually having to do this because my wife's 07 Camry threw a rod 3500 miles after an oil change, well aware of the oil issues (now). only asking because I found some imported Japanese motors that are significantly cheaper than others that I have found with a lot less miles.

Old 02-06-2023, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

Can be of no help here.

My experience with imported Japan engines was hit or miss. Based on the misses I would buy local as I would know what I was getting up front and have recourse if not getting as advertised. But this is my opinion.

Assume you having the old engine one could make the Japan engine work.

Might research what Toyota models used this engine and shop Craigslist for cars being parted out.

As you may know there are internet sites that can find engines in salvage yards. One can then call the yard and get info on it.