Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 06:39 PM
Default engine swap

I'm completely redoing my '91 pimpster this summer. I was thinking of either rebuilding the old engine and tranny or just swapingin the3sge or 3sgte in. My question (to anyone that has done this) is what kind of common problems do I run into in such a project. Also I still don't know if the 3sgte is a direct swap (same engine mounts, etc.) which is part of the reason why I'm still deciding between the 3sge and 3sgte. I also started looking at the 3sge red top recently but It's rather expensive and I'd probably have lots of problems with wiring and stuff. And I know it's only a '91 camry, but I figured it's a good car tolearn on because it's cheap and probably not very hard to work on, plusif all works well it will be one hell of a sleeper [sm=smiley20.gif]

peace

Old 06-01-2007, 01:39 PM
Default RE: engine swap

Well, I can speak from some experience on engine swaps and rebuilds and I suggest that if this is your first or if you're still learning, go with the rebuild. You will run into alot of different complications when you add a turbo. You can still do some mods to make it faster (bore the block, performance cams and pistons, cold air intake, etc.). Horsepower always cost money as well so keep that in mind. I'm currently swapping my 1mz fe for a low mileage jdm 1mz in my 98. We have 3 supras here so that's where I know about the turbo portion (that was a swap as well). It's awesome to do, but not if you don't have the know how, you'll end up pulling the engine out again and having to mess with it. Oh, and one last note, make sure you have another car to drive because rebuilding can take longer than you may predict if you don't have everything you already need (gaskets, hoses, etc). Good luck and God bless