Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Fixin up my moms ragged out Camry.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 10:39 PM
Default Fixin up my moms ragged out Camry.

So my moms got an 03 Camry LE with 108k miles on it, and to be honest its just been through hell without alot of care. I learned how to drive with it and like any dumb 16 year old I drove it like I stole it. Then my dad got a job that was an hour away so he started driving it because his 03 F150 supercrew was just too much of a guzzler to make the trip 5 days a week. So after racking up a good portion of the 108k its now pretty tired. The motor sounds like a lawnmower and the tranny is leaking a little.

Now I normally drive an 05 Mustang GT but my dad took it away until I get a progress report and since he doesnt want me in his beloved truck, Im stuck in the Camry. So now Ive been driving it and I feel like a dick about all the crap I did to it and I want to spruce it back up. Now my question is what should I start on first? Granted the tranny is first and foremost on my list but what else wears down on these cars? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:17 AM
Default RE: Fixin up my moms ragged out Camry.

Well there is always normal wear and tear. I would be telling your dad to pick up the tab for the general work from typical driving.

The transmissions are descent, that being said if you like launching at 3k from neutral you may have some major problems coming. I wouldcheck thetranny oil for shavings fromgrinding and friction.The fuel and coolant systems are a deffinate thing that should be on your list as far as cleaning/flushing. The older models have some suspension issues but besides that it shouldnt be too bad.

But at the same time if you have a gt waiting on your grades to improve, I would spend alittle more time on the books and less timefixing up the camry.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:30 AM
Default RE: Fixin up my moms ragged out Camry.

Yeah I finally got the GT back and after spending some time under the Camry I found out why shes leaking.
The transmission cooling lines got nicked and its leaking. Got one of my friends to mend it with a spot welder and shes not leaking anymore. Im pretty sure I nicked it when I was driving to this place called Hells Church so Im not too worried about it.

Thanks for the advice though!