Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 10:09 PM
Default need suggestions

I've got a camry, about 30,000 miles. I bought it new, its been extremely reliable so far, but I need to probably do more than the usual oil and air filter changes every 3-5000miles. I want to take it to my usual dealer for a 30k inspection and service, but I dont want to be ripped off with needless things. What are the most and major things I should do for the miles on my car. Suggestions from belts to fluids to flushing of things are welcome.Brakes and tires are in excellent shape too, so I'm not going to let them do useless work there.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:54 AM
Default RE: need suggestions

have your 30k service done...if they give you recommended repairs thats when you need to start asking question....but if the repair is something that makes the vehicle unsafe to drive..for example..needing brake service...have them do the repair and save the old parts for you to look at later...the same thing applies to things like drive belts, tell them that you want the old parts to look at later...anything dealing with flushes is useally a maintaince issue...I would only do them if the fluid is really dirty....again ask why you need the flush....if you are unsure of something they recommend....post up and ask the forum for help...Im sure these guys would be happy to help....

Old 07-11-2007, 08:17 AM

Should I just go in and ask for the 30k service package, it's kind of expensive, most of it is "checking fluids and levels", "belts", brakes, etc. I've just had a full state inspection, brakes and tires were told to me in excellent shape, should I just have the dealer do engine and transmission eval, are those the major things I'd have them focus on? What is typical for a 30k service check in general so I don't get taken advantage of?

Keep in mind, women can be BS'd by any dealer and I could be snowballed easily since I'm not a car expert, they know that. Of course I agree, it they see something that needs replacement for saftey, I'll do it and yeah have them save the parts (which they will go get some old worn out one from the garbage of another car and show me it's mine)....you know how that can go. Coolant looks good, but transmission, brake fluid....how can I tell if its dirty, there again they will snowball me.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:00 AM

maybe you should try to find a shop that you can trust your car and money with...ask your friends, coworks, maybe even this forum, "wheredo you get yourcar serviced?"....the dealer shouldhave a list of what a 30k service concist (did i spell the right) of...get a hold of that list and start crossing out services that you have done recently...the 30k service list should also be inyour owners manual...