Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Oil Pump Leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2022, 02:45 PM
Default Oil Pump Leak

'97 Camry 4 cylinder, 2.2L

I have watched a lot of video guides on how to change the oil pump gasket while I think I am probably capable of doing the repair I just do not have the tools or location for the task.

Is it possible to clean the area and seal it from the outside of the pump with some kind of sealer till I can pay somebody to do the repair.
Since this is a temporary solution will it break the first time driven or will it hold for a few months?

Leaking Oil Pump 97 Camry

Old 03-16-2022, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Are you sure its the pump? Does the oil drip when the engine is running?

There oil every where in your photo. If the pump it typically is only from under the bulge of the timing cover.

The pump is under oil pressure making external sealing pretty much impossible.

Old 03-16-2022, 02:41 PM
Default Oil Pump Leak

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Are you sure its the pump? Does the oil drip when the engine is running?

There oil every where in your photo. If the pump it typically is only from under the bulge of the timing cover.

The pump is under oil pressure making external sealing pretty much impossible.
Hello Toyomoho, No I am not 100% sure it is the oil pump. It only drips if I can call it a drip (it has a good flow to it) when the engine is running. I took a video of it running down but unable to upload it. This a screen shot from the video of when it is running

Old 03-16-2022, 03:09 PM

Video on oil leak

Attached Files
File Type: mov
Leak.mov (459.7 KB, 23 views)
Old 03-16-2022, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

Looks like the pump is leaking. The seal on the pump drive shaft starts to leak under oil pressure when the engine is on. The only fix is to install a new seal or pump.

One can buy a new seal separately, but not a new pump without also buying the housing the pump bolts on to. Point being its cheaper and easier to replace the seal. If doing this you will also need the preformed o'ring seal that goes around the pump body.

If you are driving the car, check the oil FREQUENTLY to get an idea of how much oil is leaking out!! This type of leak can cause all the engine oil to be lost in a relatively short period of time.

Old 03-18-2022, 12:07 PM

Thank you Toyomoho for an answer and helping to identify the leak. My car has been booked into the mechanics to have a timing belt kit installed .... timing bet, water pump and oil pump will all get done.

We were putting a quart of oil in the engine ever time we wanted to drive it 0.0

Have a great weekend.

Old 04-05-2022, 05:38 PM

Hello! Check the seals and oil pump for leaks, I had a problem due to poor quality oil. I had to clean the entire oil supply system, change the oil and filter. Here you can find Oil type for 5.9 Cummins, good options for your car.

Last edited by kenny24; 04-09-2022 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-29-2022, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by kenny24
Hello! Check the seals and oil pump for leaks, I had a problem due to poor quality oil. I had to clean the entire oil supply system, change the oil and filter. Here you can find Oil type for 5.9 Cummins, good options for your car.
Thank you for contributing

Old 04-29-2022, 01:15 PM

We managed to get it into a mechanics and they have replaced the hole timing kit replaced including oil pump / seals .... Car is running awesome and no leaks!!!!

Even though we did not do the work ourselves, understanding the process and parts involved was a great benefit when communicating with the mechanic.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to help

Old 05-04-2022, 12:40 AM
Super Moderator

Great!

Quick Reply: Oil Pump Leak